• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Converting ASUS ZENBOOK from Win8 to Win7 - stuck! :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

Hi Guys

I haz an ASUS ZENBOOK UX301LA-XH72T..
It's got 500GB SSD RAID 0 and it's mighty fast...

Problem is it comes with Windows 8... and i desperately need to get this downgraded to Windows 7 whilst maintaining its RAID 0 configuration...

Took me a while to figure out how to enable USB Boot and now I'm finally in the Windows installation portion, but Windows installer can't seem to find the HDD...

zy4LnJ2.png

1) Could this be a RAID issue of some sort?
2)Shouldn't windows see the drive as if it was non-raid (since this seems to be a BIOS based Raid configuration..
3) Where can i got to get a driver for this? i've searched everywhere :(
4) Is it possible to remove the RAID so that Windows can see the drive, install Win 7 and then RAID 0 it after?

really need your help guys...

Tea

Because there are people out there that dont like Windows 8.

I have this same issue with an HP laptop, and it was born with windows 7.
I'd like to know if you fix it.

And there are ways around the "I don't like Windows 8" issues besides downgrading the OS.

If it is simply an interface issue for the OP I was going to suggest Classic Shell instead of downgrading.

And there are ways around the "I don't like Windows 8" issues besides downgrading the OS.

If it is simply an interface issue for the OP I was going to suggest Classic Shell instead of downgrading.

In my case, i'll take the downgrade anyday. Once they make an OS that i can install, and make no changes to, thats when im back on the boat.

I'll be using W7 until they pull plug like they just did on XP :attn:

It won't be better. You get use to a new system or will have problems in the future. There are already new devices like laptops or tablets that are not using pre Win8 drivers. In some cases you simply have no choice. Some manufacturers are not releasing new drivers for their hardware as Win8 has it built-in ( like USB 3.0 ).
I'm not a fan of Win8 but really it's working like Win7 except that dumb menu and couple of things in different places.

In my case, i'll take the downgrade anyday. Once they make an OS that i can install, and make no changes to, thats when im back on the boat.

I'll take having to install one piece of software over having to fight drivers any day.
I haven't found a driver yet that isn't pre-installed on Win8/8.1, its amazing.

I'll take having to install one piece of software over having to fight drivers any day.
I haven't found a driver yet that isn't pre-installed on Win8/8.1, its amazing.

Thats how W7 was back when it came out, difference, W7 you didnt need to mod it to be able to use it. We all know of the Classic shell, but at the end of the day, its something that nobody should ever have to do.

Thats how W7 was back when it came out, difference, W7 you didnt need to mod it to be able to use it. We all know of the Classic shell, but at the end of the day, its something that nobody should ever have to do.

Except that Windows 7 has never found ALL the drivers :shrug:

I had to go in and modify the appearance of Windows 7 every time to get rid of the silly "Aero isn't running fast enough" popup during games.
Same deal.

Windows 8 will have longer support, it'll get DirectX12, and it is just plain faster.

If you still want to stay on 7, be my guest, but I've used both side by side. You'd be silly to stay on 7.

You had to learn Win7 the same as you have to learn Win8 now. But all those who were using Vista already knew where are all things in Win7. Everyone who was moving from XP to Win7 directly had the same issues like now Win7 users move to Win8
Win8 is the same as Win7 except that start menu so most users don't really care as all daily program links can be on the desktop.

When my mum got used to Win8 in less than a week and didn't complain then I really see no problem here. I was really expecting the worst as even system reinstall on her PC was always pain and many questions.

Original poster, you do not have to justify what you want to do. Your view is shared by more than 50% of average users and there's a name for that: the MAJORITY of users.

Classic Shell is not a theme - after a 20 second install, it TURNS your Windows 8 into Windows 7 from the moment you boot in until you shut down. And you get to keep all Windows 8 features minus the difficult to use, frustrating user interface. Read this:

As far as numbers go, majority to vast majority of average users share your opinion and frustration about the inappropriate for PC+mouse windows 8 user interface. They then make a mistake of installing Windows 7 rather then Classic Shell like this:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7693576&postcount=15

Original poster, you do not have to justify what you want to do.

I asked why because it could either be personal preference (can be fixed with Classic Shell) or program compatibility (can't be fixed with Classic Shell).

You had to learn Win7 the same as you have to learn Win8 now. But all those who were using Vista already knew where are all things in Win7. Everyone who was moving from XP to Win7 directly had the same issues like now Win7 users move to Win8
Win8 is the same as Win7 except that start menu so most users don't really care as all daily program links can be on the desktop.

When my mum got used to Win8 in less than a week and didn't complain then I really see no problem here. I was really expecting the worst as even system reinstall on her PC was always pain and many questions.

You may have point. I moved from Xp to 7 on my main rig, but from Vista to 7 on laptop, that was my most used pc at the time.

Never the less, I have had rigs where W7 sorted all drivers.

windows 8 fo life!
if you dont like windows 8 you don't like yourself.
windows 8 is amazing.
not liking windows 8 is like not liking pizza. who doesnt like pizza?
windows 8 is like magic, it does stuff for you before you even know you wanna do it. its like BAM magiced.

anywho. use nlite to add your sata controllers drivers into the windows install disk or put the files on a flash drive. its pretty simple to do and theres alot of tutorials on how to do this.
the guide is for xp but it should be the same for 7 or atleast similar enough.
http://www.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your-SATA-Drivers-Into-a-Windows-XP-Installation-CD-Using-nLite

or with the drivers on the flash drive, simply browse the drive for the drivers.

Last edited:

I am a strong believer of Windows 7 over 8, but I will happily use classic shell with Win 8 anyday :)
So +1 for classicshell

windows 8 fo life!
if you dont like windows 8 you don't like yourself.
windows 8 is amazing.
not liking windows 8 is like not liking pizza. who doesnt like pizza?
windows 8 is like magic, it does stuff for you before you even know you wanna do it. its like BAM magiced.

The issue is that the UI is so different than Win 7. Most people like me refuse to learn this ridiculous UI that Windows 8 comes with. My only gripe about it are the charms and that stupid side bar that pops up if you mouse over to the side of the screen or when you put your fingers on the touchpad to close to the edge on laptops.

Anyway OP:
Get your drivers, if it's Intel, they will have the boot drivers for you.
You'll then have to disable the "Secure Boot" options in the BIOS. Windows 7 won't boot otherwise - let alone install.

After that, it should be a standard Windows 7 install.

If it won't boot 7 after installing, enable "Legacy and UEFI boot" in the BIOS. The option might differ in name, but it'll be close to that.

My Lenovo G500 would not boot Win 7 unless I had that option enabled.

EDIT: And here is a guide I found useful: www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13326-downgrade-windows-8-windows-7-a.html

Absolutely! There is nothing to "learn" about the Charms nightmare. First time I had a deadline to meet under Windows 8, I noticed how much it was interfering with normal super-fast usage because Charms was popping out "all the time", blocking pertinent work data from view and slowing me down.

I thought whoever OK'd Charms as a mandatory feature, that there was a clear cut case of no trial - straight to execution :)

Luckily this gets rid of charms:
ClassicShellDisableCharms.png

If you must downgrade for any other reason, since user interface is NOT a reason seeing as Classic Shell CAN be made to fully replicate all Windows 7 behavior, then you need to go to BIOS, disable secure boot, switch away from UEFI.

Also, Laptop drives are now formatted to GPT with five partitions, with more than one hidden partition, which is why Windows XP install on them is not possible without a complete hard drive partition table nuke.

I had a similar issue OP and what i did which is going to sound retarded is put the drive in another laptop and did the whole install process with win 7 and then put it back in the laptop i needed to use. The windows 8 pc I couldnt see at all whatever wierd partition it made was invisible.

Now if the drive is not removable i'm sorry i wasted your time.

I knew this was gona turn into a Windows 7 vs Windows 8 debacle.. lol

@ all the helpful replies, thanks very much... even the windows classic shell suggestions..
much appreciated..

as for the question why the heck im downgrading.. well
- i despise Win 8
- i hate its design (metro and all)
- i hate its wana be tablet approach
- i hate the app store like crap
- i look forward to Windows 9

now that i got my shallow reasons out of the way..
-there are some software and driver compatibility issues

p.s. windows 9 most likely is going to be the same way or similar.

atleast i hope. metroui is the bombdigity.

Back