• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Converting ASUS ZENBOOK from Win8 to Win7 - stuck! :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
windows 8 is my life hahaha i put it on everything i use

starts up faster then my windows 7 pc and the search feature is pretty aweseome oh and apps for everything is great

9/10 people who never installed Classic Shell say:

- i despise Win 8 -- even though Classic Shell completely removes legitimate reasons for despising Win8.
- i hate its design (metro and all) -- even though Classic Shell removes metro and all -- you NEVER have to see it, ever, unless you specifically choose to by holding SHIFT and clicking on Windows 7 like Start Menu.
- i hate its wana be tablet approach -- even though Classic Shell completely removes the tablet look.
- i hate the app store like crap -- even though Classic Shell completely removes Metro app presence and reminders of the app store, unless you specifically choose to see them by holding SHIFT and clicking on Windows 7 like Start Menu.

So all this while giving you the option, just the option, of full access to the despised Metro and Apps, which otherwise you would never see or use, but would still have the option to.... PLUS you can take advantage of the numerous small improvements Windows 8 offers which have *nothing to do* with its widely despised (as in by >50% of average users) Windows 8 Metro interface.

- i look forward to Windows 9 -- even though Classic Shell on Day 1 of Windows 8.0 release offered classic features only Windows 8.1 today has and even though Classic Shell on day 1 offered classic features only Windows 9 will have, options which by the way will be used as selling points (!) of Windows 9 -- and then Classic Shell will still have more classic features than even Windows 9 -- so essentially there is zero need to wait for Windows 9 to get the Start Menu back when it has always been available after a 20 second install of Classic Shell.

-there are some software and driver compatibility issues -- 9/10 of those issues are user specific, not operating system specific.

Install Classic Shell on every Windows 8 computer you are using -- there is no down side for anyone who dislikes Metro -- plus it doesn't even take away Metro because you have full Metro access with SHIFT + Start Menu and a simple ESCAPE gets you back to Windows 7 look -- giving anyone an opportunity to learn Windows 8 UI and switch to it -- OR NOT -- choice of both, this is not about one or the other.

Last edited:
Windows 8.1 brings back the classic look (sort of) with all the improvements of the latest OS build and drivers that are either unheard of or non existant in previous versions.

Like having to migrate to XP because win 2000 prof only sees two cpu cores and you have a quadcore as was my case, and I loved win2000, but after migrating to XP, I never looked back.
I believe you can upgrade to 8.1 for free, but at any rate, you should give tha classic look a try before downgrading.

Me personaly, I'm trying to migrate to Linux after Xp was pronounced dead....I refuse to buy another M$ OS at least for the forseeable future, as there is no backward compatibility any more.

p.s. windows 9 most likely is going to be the same way or similar.

atleast i hope. metroui is the bombdigity.

gawd pls no. lol

9/10 people who never installed Classic Shell say:

- i despise Win 8 -- even though Classic Shell completely removes legitimate reasons for despising Win8.
- i hate its design (metro and all) -- even though Classic Shell removes metro and all -- you NEVER have to see it, ever, unless you specifically choose to by holding SHIFT and clicking on Windows 7 like Start Menu.
- i hate its wana be tablet approach -- even though Classic Shell completely removes the tablet look.
- i hate the app store like crap -- even though Classic Shell completely removes Metro app presence and reminders of the app store, unless you specifically choose to see them by holding SHIFT and clicking on Windows 7 like Start Menu.

So all this while giving you the option, just the option, of full access to the despised Metro and Apps, which otherwise you would never see or use, but would still have the option to.... PLUS you can take advantage of the numerous small improvements Windows 8 offers which have *nothing to do* with its widely despised (as in by >50% of average users) Windows 8 Metro interface.

- i look forward to Windows 9 -- even though Classic Shell on Day 1 of Windows 8.0 release offered classic features only Windows 8.1 today has and even though Classic Shell on day 1 offered classic features only Windows 9 will have, options which by the way will be used as selling points (!) of Windows 9 -- and then Classic Shell will still have more classic features than even Windows 9 -- so essentially there is zero need to wait for Windows 9 to get the Start Menu back when it has always been available after a 20 second install of Classic Shell.

-there are some software and driver compatibility issues -- 9/10 of those issues are user specific, not operating system specific.

Install Classic Shell on every Windows 8 computer you are using -- there is no down side for anyone who dislikes Metro -- plus it doesn't even take away Metro because you have full Metro access with SHIFT + Start Menu and a simple ESCAPE gets you back to Windows 7 look -- giving anyone an opportunity to learn Windows 8 UI and switch to it -- OR NOT -- choice of both, this is not about one or the other.

hmm, i would admit that i didnt know there was such a TOTAL cure for most of my beef w/ 8.. thanks very very much for the enlightenment. I might try 8 once more soon.

as for the driver/software, there's just 1 to many stuffs that wont work or wont work right/stable on 8 that made me not bother .. but im slowly getting rid of em/changing etc.. so..

Thanks again.

I may fight wagex.

If you have to use Windows (and a lot of us do for something) Windows 7 Pro 64 bit is THE best version to date.

I have worked with Windows 8 and I still do not like it. I have installed 8.1, with the classic shell and its still Windows 8. I sincerely hope that game devs push for OpenGL and thus rid everyone of this foolish hang up on DirectX.

Tokae, would you please post how the user interface is not like Windows 7 after properly installing Classic Shell?

All Metro annoyances should be 'by choice' instead of 'by default' on Windows 8 -- effectively taking away reasons to dislike Windows 8 while still leaving a single click Mero option to be there by choice.

If Metro is not activated with a single click,, win 8 becomes win 7 in which Metro annoyances are not *ever* experienced...

Last edited:
There are still dual desktops with classic shell, which could lead to confusion for some. That was my only point.

Like it or not, the tiles are there even with classic shell (and they suck IMO). Microsoft themselves have stated that they are moving away from it with Windows 9.

EDIT:

For the average user that is forced to use Windows 8, the entire 8.1 upgrade was an insane mess to get going. On top of that, the average user does not know of the Classic Shell option and will never get there. I think that is the biggest issue that no one seems to understand.

Last edited:
Yeah, most people don't know how to rid themselves of the metro menu or the charms bar. Most people I talk to think they're annoying, but don't even ask me to fix it! They don't know that it's fixable, and they don't want to expend the emotion energy in the whole "Will this mess up my computer? Will my cat photos be safe?? What if he runs a virus scan, and tell me to reformat!?!" inner dialogue.

I think it was unkind of Microsoft to not include stock Windows 7 interface as an option in the control panel or something.

Thanks Arbiter Odie.

Like it or not, the tiles are there even with classic shell (and they suck IMO).

Tokae, here's a Windows 7 Start Menu button:
ClassicShellWindows7.png

Yes if you hold SHIFT when clicking on it - you will get back into Metro. (Even though a simple Escape gets you right back into Windows 7 - looking Desktop with Windows 7 Start Button and Windows 7 Start Menu.)

Now, if you do not hold SHIFT when you click on the Start Button - you will never see TILES.
Therefore TILES are actually NEVER seen accidentally.
You have to specifically HOLD shift to see tiles.

So there are no Metro TILES that are "still there to suck" for all intense & purposes - it is misleading to suggest that tiles are still there after Classic Shell is installed - they are not.

Of course average user is not going to know how to get rid of Charms:

ClassicShellDisableCharms.png

But Classic Shell is a cure all - Windows 8 UI becomes Windows 7 UI - from the moment you boot in until you shut down - no Windows 8 user interface annoyances are present thereafter so as far as UI is concerned -- why install Windows 7!? There is nothing "to suck" under Windows 8 IF you know how to install Classic Shell. If you don't, well of course you will suffer under Windows 8, but step 1 in this discussion is acknowledgement about how our computer illiterate friends and cousins are screwed under Windows 8 - but whoever posts on this forum is capable of installing Classic Shell and therefore can avoid being forced to use Windows 7.

I agree that that is valuable info c637627!

BUT: You are still missing my point that 9 out of 10 users of Windows 8 will not be computer savvy people like those on here. They will not be looking for Classic Shell and they will not be fine tuning CS like you are able to. They are people who just bought a new PC because their old one was, well, old. Microsoft's jump to this new interface was a bold move to say the least. But it caused more confusion than anything else.

Like I mentioned before, the entire Windows 8 ordeal has been horrific for a lot. Why do I say this? Because I am an on-site tech who deals with the general public all the time. So really its been great for me!

They won't. They've been screwed by Microsoft.

'Horrific' does not adequately describe that there are things in Windows 8.0 that appear to have been put in there with a purpose of tormenting, torturing those users.

Rebooting/shutting down Windows 8.0 is just one small example.

Absolutely they entered a world of pain after they bought a new Windows 8 computer. Return rates / exchanges for Windows 7 machines was sky high when Windows 8.0 came out for that reason.

Back