• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolant additives!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cjwinnit

B&
Hi. Building a watercooling loop and need to get some additive! Have a copper CPU block and a nickel-plated copper GPU block with Eheim pump and Black Ice rad.

I'm getting distilled water for it but it will need additive. Options seem to be:

1/ Copper Sulphate - will need mixing but doesn't worry me.
2/ WC-specific additive (i.e. HydreX etc...)
3/ Silver Coil - but would this react to the copper/nickel?

I'm leaning towards 1/ but I though I'd get a forum opinion!

Thanks.

ive been using petras phn and distilled for years without a hitch. still using the bottle i bought when it was released ;)

I'm using what Witchdoctor linked to, but only been a couple months.

Avoid the silver and the copper sulfate. The petras phn would be OK, as it uses Benzalkonium chloride.

I ran Demineralised water in my first loop and only changed it once due to pump motor breaking (cheap pump) then it was fine. It has been 6 years since I made the loop and have had no issues. The piping is a little green from what appear to be algae but no issues hahaha

^ This is what we try to avoid LOL. Hemzorz have you opened up your water blocks to see how bad the algae build up is inside?

^ This is what we try to avoid LOL. Hemzorz have you opened up your water blocks to see how bad the algae build up is inside?
Nah it's literally just my blue pipes look green on the inside but that's it. That's pretty damn good for 6 years with no maintenance and 1 drain if you ask me hahaha

Next loop I'm doing properly with pre-mixed red additive. It's gonna be sexy!!
Just secured pump...using 290x until my 2080ti and block arrives. 1551958482678.jpeg

been using distilled water, pt-nuke+ kill coil for years now, didn't even bother cleaning my block after 4 years of running it was still that clean.

Back