• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

coolant lines

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pf.Farnsworth

what do you think is a good coolant line for coolant between -20C and -80C. The plastic lines used for water cooling would get really brittle I would think. And using copper pipes is a bit inconvinient, plus they wont make smooth turns like plastic lines. I was thinking some sort of soft rubber hoses? Anyone wants to drop their 2 cents?

Rubber is deffinatly NOT the way to go. It get's brittle way before even -20, and would shatter at colder temps.

I think a silicone tube might work, but I really have no idea. a stainless steel flex line would also probably work pretty well, just don't bend it around too much when it's down to temperature.

Check www.mcmaster.com. There's some stuff on page 87 that is spec'd down to about -77* C, which is close. That looks like one of the more flexible cold tubings. Page 95 has some crazy stuff that'll go down to -400*F, but I don't know how flexible that type of tubing is.

check this out guys, on http://www.mcmaster.com/

-Clear tubing
-Teflon covered for less friction
-Incredible temperature range
-Incredible preasure tolerance

Extreme-Purity PFA Tubing

• Temperature Range: -320° to +500° F
• Use with chemicals, water, and air
• Color: Clear
• Durometer, Shore D: 60
• Tensile Strength: 4000 psi
• Elongation: 300%
• Materials Meet: FDA (food and beverage), UL 94V0 (flame retardant)
• Fittings: Compression (see pages 119-134 )

Also known as PFA (perfluoroalkoxy) 450, this tubing is high-purity— making it ideal for applications in semiconductor and pharmaceutical industries. It is without a plasticizer additive that can contaminate fluid in tubing. Inert to most chemicals, it offers excellent resistance to UV exposure and temperature extremes. Not rated for bend radius.

price varies with size and wall thinkness but be prepared to pay over $20 per foot for some.

I hate to break it to you, but you won't be able to get a liquid down to -80c and sustain the load of a CPU or GPU.

Not to mention the fact that you will be hard pressed to come up with a semi-safe coolant that won't slush up at -80c.

Have you considering dirrecting your efforts to a dirrect die set-up instead?

Pf.Farnsworth said:
well -80 would be at no load.

I was planning on using denatured alcohol, that should flow alright downt to -100 no?

Specs I found say it freezes at -78c.

this stuff according to the MSDS is good to -100°c or so. Looking I havent been able to find anywhere that says its only good to -78°c so it should be alright. However out of a chiller -50°c unloaded might be more realistic.

at school our cascade system that we have it can go down to -98 but after that it starts to get really thick

Back