• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrmagoo1077

Picked up this computer cheap, used. Currently my core i7-860 is being cooled by the stock intel cooling unit. Prime 95 blend test sends the CPU temp to 94'c without overclock (2.8ghz stock)! Even a mild overclock to 3ghz puts the temp close enough to tl max that I shut the test down immediately. Ideally I would want the prime95 not to exceed 90'C

Im not looking for crazy overclocking speeds: 3.2ghz would be my ideal and 3ghz would be acceptable.

My friend has a spare cooler he would just give me, and im unsure if it's any better than my stock intel one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6624654&CatId=798

My budget is maxed atm. Would this cooler be an upgrade at all?

I highly doubt that it will do better than stock.

That said, its free, never hurts to try.

It has two single-ended heatpipes. It probably would be slightly better than the stock heatsink.

Better heatsinks use double-ended heatpipes that bury their ends in finstacks.

But if you're going to OC only to 3GHz or 3.2GHz, why bother?

A good heatsink really rewards you with this chip. That i7 860 is a great chip, but it runs hot because the memory controller is on-chip. If you want to OC it, you will need some real cooling power.

I routinely OC'd my i7 860 to 4GHz. IIRC, it was BCLK = 182MHz x 22. I think I had my Vcore set to 1.312v. With LLC on it hit 1.328v. To keep that cool I used a Megahalems with push-pull fans (two Yate Loon D12SH-12's) or a Noctua NH-D14. I ran an i7 875k at 133MHz x 27 = 3.6GHz, with slightly lower Vcore. I cooled that one with a Scythe Mugen 2 with push-pull fans.

As I said, a good heatsink really rewards you with this chip.

Thank you for the input,

In a couple months i might consider getting a good cooler than.

Just a heads up, if you're on a budget, keep an eye on Ebay. You can pick up used heatsinks fairly cheap. I've bought 2 Prolimatech Megahalems and a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme for less then $15.00 shipped and they are really good heatsinks. Just make sure they will fit in your case and you have sufficient airflow in the case.

Just a heads up, if you're on a budget, keep an eye on Ebay. You can pick up used heatsinks fairly cheap. I've bought 2 Prolimatech Megahalems and a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme for less then $15.00 shipped and they are really good heatsinks. Just make sure they will fit in your case and you have sufficient airflow in the case.

Bingo, the used market is best for a budget build.

I buy a used computer (budget) and don't even think to look at used coolers :facepalm:

Thanks for the suggestion! :ty:

Bingo.

Back