• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler for 2600k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rcmorr09

Registered
I hear the hyper 212+ is a good cooler at a nice price. If my budget is 60 dollars for a cooler what would be some good options to go with?

It's really, really hard to beat the price/performance of a Hyper212+. If you want to spend $60, I'd go with a Thermalright MUX-120 or a Cogage True Spirit+Mounting bracket.

Well I don't necessarily want to spend 60 dollars I just want a good cooler for ocing my 2600k to 4.5ghz. I can spend more if necessary since I do live in Texas that gets very warm. I may just go with the 212+ thanks for your reply.

The 212+ is a good price/performance choice. But the MUX120 is a better all around cooler and is around $15 more. And the True Spirit is roughly the same price as the 212+ but you would need to get an 1155/1156 mount for it since it only comes with a 1366 mount. Another choice, if you can find them for sale that is, would be the Thermalright HR-02 Macho, which is supposed to retail for around $40.

Could you give us the model of your case? Otherwise you might buy something that doesn't fit and have to go through a large hassle of returnin etc and just a PITA.

I'm using the cooler master v8 and get good results.

Nice suggestion, I just read some reviews and I like it.

And about the case, I am still in the process of picking out parts, I am leaning towards the cooler master haf 932 advanced.

Most of the haf series looks great if you don't mind the price tag.

I have the blue 942 and love it, I'll post some pics later.

Do you think I can hit 4.5 with reasonable temps using the 212 evo?

Do you think I can hit 4.5 with reasonable temps using the 212 evo?

Probably. Don't buy a really cheap Mobo, have good case cooling, don't live in the tropics with 95F room temps, have some clue when overclocking.

"Will my 1000 horsepower car do a 4 second mile"? Dunno, you know how to use a clutch? You have race tires?

Geeze. All we can say is "We think so.":bang head

Probably. Don't buy a really cheap Mobo, have good case cooling, don't live in the tropics with 95F room temps, have some clue when overclocking.

"Will my 1000 horsepower car do a 4 second mile"? Dunno, you know how to use a clutch? You have race tires?

Geeze. All we can say is "We think so.":bang head

Hi Conumdrum, is the Jack making you bitter?

No, it's my standard answer to such obtuse questions we see here on a regular, not daily, but all the time basis.

Maybe I need to save that post/answer for all such questions.

Some have no clue, some have no hope. Many are able to achive 4.5 easy. I'm not one to promise anything, because humans are at many levels of budget and intelligence around the world, and WE deal with all of them. Many need a dose of reality. They get a magic box from the retailer, they know NOTHING about overclocking or fans etc.

Where do you fit in that? Sorry if I offended you. I AM Mutant by my assigned title from the powers above me. I tell it with a bite of lime and bitterness. I am reality.

Matbe you sold make a sig...... You been here long enuff and have posted enuff questions to make a sig...........

Last edited:
My 2600k for instance, won't do 4.5ghz IBT-able with reasonable temps even with a TRUE.
Others can do really easily.
It varies, hugely.
(Cool it well enough and mine does 5.4 though... :rock:)

I understand there are many things that go into overclocking, my old core 2 e6600 could only go to about 3.2ghz while it was common for others to get 3.4 or higher on air. (this is the last system I built so I am a little behind on the new chipsets)

I understand case cooling and am planning on getting a decent asus z68 motherboard. I also said "Do you think" I was not looking for a sure fire answer as I am aware that would be impossible, I should of provided more information about the system I want to build anyway so I will take your criticizing post and learn from it.

I understand getting frustrated with people asking generic questions and I admit I provided little information on the rest of my planned system but you could just move on and not answer or try to give helpful advice.

Let me try this again. Here is what I want to build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1tcO I already have a corsair 650 watt psu and a 5870 that will be used. I live in a warm area but thanks to AC the house never gets warmer then 78F.

Now based of what I posted what air cooling system would give me the best shot* at hitting 4.5? I planned to spend around 60 dollars on a cooler but can spend more if needed. The 212 Evo looks like a really good price point and has positive reviews and of course a bunch of random people on newegg reviews are saying they are hitting 4.3-4.6 with 2500/2600ks but I only take it with a grain of salt so that is why i originally came here as in the past I relieved valued information that has helped me build 3 computers over the years.

I think with that Mobo you got a good chance. Thanks for the update of your parts.

And you get the gist of my post.

All good, you go for it, a good cooler, not a very top cooler that is proven makes little diff in air coolig, trying for 4.5.

Now it's up to you that you'll have the hardware. Bless your chip, hope for a good one.

Back