• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling a 2600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
actually, I contacted Nans and they are shipping out of LA county, so I should have no problem getting it by this weekend. Ordered the HR-02 already. As for overclocking, I will be honest in saying that it was not something I was thinking about in the near future. At least not on this one. I may look in to overclocking my Core i7 920 rig some time next year but I plan to keep my 2600k at stock for at least a year. I'll cut my teeth on the i7 920 first. Maybe I'm just being a chicken***t, but I don't want to do something wrong and cause hardware damage. I've heard stories... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad it's working out with Nan's for you. They are a new store and I don't know much about them. I'm sure you will like the Macho; it's quiet and effective. BTW, please don't try to bypass the swear filter like you did; I modified it to an acceptable form for you.;) As for overclocking that 2600k, it's dead easy to get a moderate overclock. To get to 4.2 with both of mine, I just disabled turbo core and manually set vcore around 1.2-1.25v and set the multi to get to 4.2 GHz. It was literally that easy.

@ IJAHman,

OK, that's a setup like the old case I used to test with before the Dragon Rider. You have enough room back there to hog out those grills and install 2-92 mm fans on the outside instead of the 80's. That's what I did and it improved cooling tremendously with a couple of medium Panaflo 92 mm fans there. And if you do that, you definitely won't need a "pull" fan on the heatsink. If you want better airflow through the Macho, replace the TY-140 with an AP-15 Gentle Typhoon for a little better temps. But hinestly, installing the 92 mm exhaust fans will help more IMO.

As for overclocking that 2600k, it's dead easy to get a moderate overclock. To get to 4.2 with both of mine, I just disabled turbo core and manually set vcore around 1.2-1.25v and set the multi to get to 4.2 GHz. It was literally that easy.

I may just have to try that with my 920 and see how it goes. It is only a 2.66ghz which by today's standards is a laptop clock speed.

@ IJAHman,

OK, that's a setup like the old case I used to test with before the Dragon Rider. You have enough room back there to hog out those grills and install 2-92 mm fans on the outside instead of the 80's. That's what I did and it improved cooling tremendously with a couple of medium Panaflo 92 mm fans there. And if you do that, you definitely won't need a "pull" fan on the heatsink. If you want better airflow through the Macho, replace the TY-140 with an AP-15 Gentle Typhoon for a little better temps. But hinestly, installing the 92 mm exhaust fans will help more IMO.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot Mud. :)
But Panaflo fans are hard to find in here. How about this fan : JAPAN SERVO CBDC24B4-602 (it's a 90mm).
And I'm thinking of getting this one too : Yate Loon D12SH-12 120mm or 140mm or this Scythe ULTRA KAZE 3000rpm 120x120x38mm for my side intake fans. What do you think?

Last edited:
Those Japan Servo fans should work just fine for exhaust fans. The key ingredient is 92 mm (or 90 mm) fans, not the brand of them. I just used Panaflo fans since I had gotten a good deal on them and they were quality fans.

As for the Yate High fan for the heatsink, if you can stand the noise of it, it should do pretty good on the HR-02. If you go with the Ultra Kaze, which is a 38 mm thick fan, you will need to either get the Ven-X fan clips to mount it or use tie wraps to mount it with because the stock clips won't work with 38 mm thick fans. But, both of those fans are fairly noisy too. I personally would go with a Yate Loon Medium (D12SM-12), which is quieter but gives better airflow and static pressure than the TY-140.

Jeez. they weren't kidding when they named this thing the Macho. That is one hefty heatsink. The color of the fan though.. something I think they could have changed, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, the colors of the fan are kind of meh, for sure. But IMO the colors are better than what Noctua uses for their fans. And it's a big rascal, for sure. :rofl:

Back