• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling advice for lga1150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The dark rock PRO 3 is what I was recommending, as I saw it on sale at newegg for 54.99. its now 69.99$, which is noctua territory. Still great, just annoying.

Heres a pretty big list of quality coolers, these will all be similar cooling ability, ~1-2c

Dual Tower :

Cryorig R1 ultimate 90$
Noctua NH-D14 70$ newegg
Dark Rock Pro 3 70$ newegg
Noctua NH-D15 88$ newegg
DeepCool Assassin II 70$ newegg
Phanteks PH-TC14PE 64.99$ newegg (comes in various colors)
Raijentek Tisis 70$ newegg

As you can see, they are about 70$ lol. They all perform pretty much the damn same, and they all have really high quality and durable mounting solutions. At this point, it becomes more of an aesthetics choice. The Phanteks come in colors, the dark rock pro looks sleek and modern, the noctua looks like a turd but is probably the best build quality (cant be by much, and merely a subjective observation) , the tisis is a bit "boy racer" (I own one lol), the deepcool assassin is also "boy racer" with the god awful blue they chose, but its a really good unit (shockingly good tbh).

Of those, the only one I haven't physically owned or had in my hand for a build is the Cryo R1 and the NH-D15. That said, their reputations precede them.

Okay, I'll answer singularly with all these coolers:

Cryorig R1 ultimate: Saw it, it was among the suggested with the Noctua D15. Must say, it's really impressive and it looks really cool. But in my opinion the Universal is better, since it has no ram limitation.
Noctua NH-D14: I see no point in this one, to be honest. If i were sure about noctua, i'd go for the D15 :)
Dark Rock Pro 3: Nothing to say here either, I'm loving this one, sleek design, dark colors, it's really appealing. Gotta evaluate this one :)
DeepCool Assassin II: Saw it somewhere around the net, but never struck me or i never really noticed it. Looks good though.
Phanteks PH-TC14PE: This is a no-go. It costs more than the listed above in my country. I don't know why.
Raijentek Tisis: My amazon doesn't sell this. There's only the core version, with no fans.

About the water cooler... I am currently keeping an eye on the Captain 360 and the Corsair Hydro H115i. Anyone of you got any recommendations on them?

The Dark Rock: From the reviews I have seen all the versions use the same mount as CM's R600, a 775 cooler (i.e.--old). The mount I handled and the mounts I have seen reviewed are all bad.

Okay, I'll answer singularly with all these coolers:

Cryorig R1 ultimate: Saw it, it was among the suggested with the Noctua D15. Must say, it's really impressive and it looks really cool. But in my opinion the Universal is better, since it has no ram limitation.
Noctua NH-D14: I see no point in this one, to be honest. If i were sure about noctua, i'd go for the D15 :)
Dark Rock Pro 3: Nothing to say here either, I'm loving this one, sleek design, dark colors, it's really appealing. Gotta evaluate this one :)
DeepCool Assassin II: Saw it somewhere around the net, but never struck me or i never really noticed it. Looks good though.
Phanteks PH-TC14PE: This is a no-go. It costs more than the listed above in my country. I don't know why.
Raijentek Tisis: My amazon doesn't sell this. There's only the core version, with no fans.

About the water cooler... I am currently keeping an eye on the Captain 360 and the Corsair Hydro H115i. Anyone of you got any recommendations on them?

To reconnoiter here

Cryorig -> Unless you're using g skill trident or some other ridiculously tall ram, its not really an issue
NH-d14 -> not much difference at all compared to the nh-d15. Major difference being ram clearance and price... its a lot more expensive compared to what you're getting in return
Dark rock pro -> cool
Deepcool -> good
Phanteks -> fair enough, was just an option
raijentek -> also fair.

as for AIO's, a lot of the initial issues with earlier production runs of stuff have been pretty ironed out. You'd be hard pressed to do wrong with either of those you chose.

The Dark Rock: From the reviews I have seen all the versions use the same mount as CM's R600, a 775 cooler (i.e.--old). The mount I handled and the mounts I have seen reviewed are all bad.

Never heard of an R600, nor have i seen anyone calling the mount "bad". What I do see, is people saying the dark rock's mount could be improved (cant they all?) and that the wrench is slightly awkward to use if you're installing the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case directly.

They are consistently heralded as one of the best coolers, and their construction quality is 2nd to none tbh. Not sure what you're getting at here...

I am curious about this. Care to elaborate?

To reconnoiter here

Cryorig -> Unless you're using g skill trident or some other ridiculously tall ram, its not really an issue
NH-d14 -> not much difference at all compared to the nh-d15. Major difference being ram clearance and price... its a lot more expensive compared to what you're getting in return
Dark rock pro -> cool
Deepcool -> good
Phanteks -> fair enough, was just an option
raijentek -> also fair.

as for AIO's, a lot of the initial issues with earlier production runs of stuff have been pretty ironed out. You'd be hard pressed to do wrong with either of those you chose.

Never heard of an R600, nor have i seen anyone calling the mount "bad". What I do see, is people saying the dark rock's mount could be improved (cant they all?) and that the wrench is slightly awkward to use if you're installing the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case directly.

They are consistently heralded as one of the best coolers, and their construction quality is 2nd to none tbh. Not sure what you're getting at here...

Thank you bob, your help was priceless.

Forgive me. It was the CM Z600R. Find a picture here. It's really old -- 775 socket -- but the mount is identical to that in the Dark Rock TF and the Dark Rock 3.

The mount is also the same as on a Mugen 2. You can see the mount in detail here. Note that I posted this in 2011. Now compare that to a review of the Dark Rock 3 here.

Be quiet! knows how to do a proper mount. See this review. But until they change the mount, I'd stay away from the Dark Rock.

Forgive me. It was the CM Z600R. Find a picture here. It's really old -- 775 socket -- but the mount is identical to that in the Dark Rock TF and the Dark Rock 3.

The mount is also the same as on a Mugen 2. You can see the mount in detail here. Note that I posted this in 2011. Now compare that to a review of the Dark Rock 3 here.

Be quiet! knows how to do a proper mount. See this review. But until they change the mount, I'd stay away from the Dark Rock.

The mount is fine man, you're literally the only person with any negativity towards it that I've ever seen. Its not the most graceful, but it is incredibly sturdy and well made. You're not taking these things off 3 times a day. Its not that hard to put on. Just take the motherboard out of the case, and it takes no time at all.

The mount is fine man, you're literally the only person with any negativity towards it that I've ever seen. Its not the most graceful, but it is incredibly sturdy and well made. You're not taking these things off 3 times a day. Its not that hard to put on. Just take the motherboard out of the case, and it takes no time at all.

Don't know if this is of any help, but the case I'm currently using (Thermaltake core V51) has a large cutout in the back, I was able to install the seidon mount with 0 problems, while the motherboard was installed in the case. Plenty of space there, and I'm gonna be helped anyway with another pair of capable hands, so I don't think there'll be much of a problem :)

I have seen that mount criticized elsewhere. I just don't have it now. And actually, there are days I do put a mount on three times a day. Or more. Just not every day.

BTW -- as you can see if you have looked at enough different heatsinks, somebody makes this and sells it to various OEM's. The high end heatsinks tend to have unique mounts.

Back