• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling both sides of cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2364

Hey last night i was installing a water cooling system and when i removed my cpu i noticed that there was a thermal probe touching the back of the core and wanted to know if anyone has ever had some kind of cooling that cooled both sides of the cpu?? dont know if this is possible in anyway....but hey thought that it would be a great idea for cooling if someone could pull it off....

Its a neat idea, although I have NO IDEA how you might do it....

I've just looked at my socket, and I can't think of any way to get pipes under there, and a HS is out of the question.

I'd take a really great and lateral idea to pull this off, and I havn't got a clue, sorry m8 :)

it would be wonderful. but the other hs(f) should sit at the back of the socket over the mainboard (on the back side). perhaps it wouldnt work that great on cooling the cpu itself, but it would help on dissipating heat really well, thus making the hsf over the cpu to become more effective.

actually ppl have been doing this with video cards, and you can see it here: the sandwich cooler :D.

an idea......

how about extending the socket out of the motherboard, by getting a spare socket and wiring it to the board then have some out of case cooling, and the hole in the middle of the soket you could stick somethiung in there.

hmmmmm..... ;)

For the interested, my laptop has thermal interface material on the inside of the socket to help transfer the heat to the bottom of the laptop. It of course also has a hs on the top. As the bottom of the laptop get fairly hot, it must work.

If you insulated the inside of the socket (electrically) and used a thermal interface material, and cool the backside, not great, but maybe it would help a little.

Back