• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling improvement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sloshedmr_bones

Registered
I have this Case and was curious if I could improve cooling. I am running a 26ºC to 31ºC With no modifications. I thought about replacing my stock cooler on my CPU but not sure what I would need to get. So I figured I could start with the case. Thoughts?

What is running at 26-31C? I assume that isnt load, which is the relevant temperature, but is decent for idle...assuming you are talking about a CPU (need more info please!). What are your load temperatures when running the Prime95 Stress test (small FFT)?

As far as cooling goes.. that case is a bit odd in that there are no top mounts for fans. Normally we say:

front/sides = intake
top/rear = exhuast

...for proper airflow.

That case is definitely going to limit the airflow unless you mod some fans into it.

If I need to mod my case that is okay, its an old case that I have reused about 3 or 4 times now. Just everything is pretty tightly squeezed in there and the fans that came with the case don't seem to move much air to me. I considered an aftermarket cooler for my CPU as well.

Well this is where my head is looking at it. It's good that it's 8" wide so fitting a cpu cooler in it shouldn't be any issue. There isn't much room for more fans, but maybe you could fit a fan up top between the psu and the cd/dvd trays, either a 120 or 92mm if you could go bigger that would be great. Another mod you could do is cut a hole in the motherboard tray behind the cpu. Then cut a hole in the right side door behind that hole and mount a 120mm back there, this will help remove some heat from the socket. You could also put a fan on the left side door, but having cross airflow from a side panel like that sometimes disrupts the front to back air flow. Third option is to put better flowing fans in the spots you already have the 120's. Though you may not like the increased noise, remember a new cpu cooler can only cool the cpu well if the air in the case isn't stagnant. BTW could you put you system specs in your signature, it would help to see whats in the box. here's how

I took some time the other day since it had been a while and cleaned out the dust with an air compressor. I was idling around 26ºC-30ºC before and now its 17ºC to 20ºC so that seemed to help. The ambient temps in my house are around 69ºF to 70ºF so I am sure that helps some. I came across this on the Micro center website, but unsure if it would be worth it, or if there is something better out there for the same price of $10 to $15 more possibly?Cooler
What fans would be recommended to replace my case fans?

Great cooler for the price. We recommend it all the time.

Case fans I'll let others chime in. You probably just want to fill all the empty holes. The CPU cooler will make a huge diff.

As....um blowing your case out every few months eh?

Although the Mystique 632 is dated it's not a bad case.
*If 140mm fans will fit (you will need 140x140mm for fans to fit enlarging the vent holes to 135-140mm diameter circles and using the existing 120mm mounting holes would do wonders to airflow. If you can't fit 140x140mm than 120mm fans will work. Reason I suggest 140mm fans is because they move 50% more air than 120mm fans; 2x 140mm fans move as much air as 3x 120mm fans of same design.
*If you only need one 5.25 optical bay you can mount another intake fan in the other 3 bays (usually 140mm is about 3mm too big).
*Having PSU in top means you can do a 140mm intake directly below where GPU mounts to cool it. If you do this I suggest raising your case so you have 40-50mm bottom clearance for easy airflow to bottom fan. There are a couple of companies who sell magnetic mounting filters; Silverstone and DEMCiflex and they both work well. I use casters on a custom base with openings to match vents. Makes it easy to move case as needed too.
*My favorite fans are Thermalright TY-14x series fans but there are many good fan, just use fans designed to work with airflow resistance.. with a good static pressure rating like those used on coolers. Reason is things like front vent and/or air filter, HDD cage, cables, etc. all create resistance similar to what a cooler does, so you need to overcome that resistant to get airflow. If there is not as much resistance it doesn't hurt anything... but have fans that cannot overcome the persistence means poor airflow.
*If you use PWM fans you can control them with motherboard CPU PWM and/or GPU PWM signal/s. To use motherboard CPU fan PWM signal all you need is a PWM splitter with molex power. Gelid make a good one. I don't like the Akasa braided ones because there are too many wires being made rigid than connecting to PWM plug and molex connector.. leads flex between connector and heatshrink on lead, stress fatigue and than start breaking off when you get in and out of as.. and fan either don't run or run 100% speed. :( Using GPU PWM signal is more complicated because the GPU cover/cooler need to be removed to access the socket and than splice a lead to the PWM lead to supply a PWM splitter like above with PWM signal. If you do go that route I have drawings I can post. Controlling case fans this way (w/CPU &/or GPU PWM signal) means the airflow case fans supply increases and decreases the same time as CPU and GPU coolers need or don't need the extra air... so quiet when they are not working hard and only as loud as needed when working. I can only just hear mine at max load on system.

I know I've put up a lot of ideas. Feel free to use or not use as fits your needs. :D

Back