• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling in my Corsair 500R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Ice

I have two front fans blowing air in with the bottom fan blowing through the HDD cage. The top fan blows straight into the case. My PSU fan is facing downwards, pulling air in from the bottom of the case. The big fan on the side is also an intake. I have a fan on the back and one fan at the top of the case as exhaust. I think this means I have positive pressure inside the case.

However, my case is vented like mad. While I'm not worried about the big hole at the top (hot air rises anyway), I don't think I like the big vents/grille on the side panel. I'm also slightly worried that the space for the 2nd fan at the top of the case might be working as an intake area. Is there any way to test the flow of air inside a PC case? One way of testing my airflow as to take a small strip of tissue paper and hold it against the fan and see which way it flows, but I'd like to have an idea of the bigger space inside my PC case. I'm also not sure I like the idea of the air being able to escape anywhere (side vent/grille, holes at the rear of the case, etc.) and would much prefer being able to dictate that it flows out the top and back of the case.

Doesn't matter if air is escaping. The case is not 100% leak-proof. Some air will escape eventually through the door panel edges. So long as you have the fan orientation like in the pic, you'll be fine.

Attachments

• air-cooling-basics,C-H-297233-22.jpg
    air-cooling-basics,C-H-297233-22.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,214
That top fan shouldn't be an intake fan, it should be an exhaust fan.

Front/Bottom/Side = Intake

Rear/Top = Exhaust

And yeah, air escaping through cracks, crevices, and air vent holes isn't something you can really prevent. And if you do tape them all off to seal the case, it doesn't really help cooling/airflow (I've tried it, it didn't work).

Back