• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukepop789

Hello, im new here. i have an hp 6530b its more of a business laptop, but i like to play games like need for speed. I notice that while doing anyrhing, like searching internet or even just idling, that the bottom of it gets horribly hot. my CPU idling temp is anywhere from 40 to 50, sometimes even 60, and when under load it jump to 90. from what i know thats too hot. way to hot. my fan usually does not turn on full speed. What are some things i should look into? any help would be greatly appreciated. btw i have a T9400 intel core duo 2.53Ghz

Is it a few years old? If so have you ever opened it up and blew the dust out?

If new then it needs sent back or you accept that laptops can get very warm on the bottom, gaming makes the GPU get hot, heat has to go somewhere..

Hello, im new here. i have an hp 6530b its more of a business laptop, but i like to play games like need for speed. I notice that while doing anyrhing, like searching internet or even just idling, that the bottom of it gets horribly hot. my CPU idling temp is anywhere from 40 to 50, sometimes even 60, and when under load it jump to 90. from what i know thats too hot. way to hot. my fan usually does not turn on full speed. What are some things i should look into? any help would be greatly appreciated. btw i have a T9400 intel core duo 2.53Ghz

Laptops tend to run a lot hotter than desktop machines in general. I too have a fairly old laptop and the fan is PWM controlled, the fan doesn't even spin up to full speed until the CPU is at 75 degrees C. And it will shutdown at 85 C. The idle temp is about 50 as well. Just one of the costs of having as much CPU power in the compact form factor of a laptop.

I do agree that you should open the laptop up and see about getting rid of what ever dust you can. Given the small size of the heatsinks and such, it doesn't take a very large dust bunny family to cripple what rather limited cooling that laptops generally have.

thanks for all the help, yes the laptop is 2010 i think. so it has a few years on it. kinda got my questioning tho cuz i play need for speed carbon. and the requirement is 1.7ghz, and i have 2.5 so i thought it shouldent heat up much. ill pull the case and clean out what i can.

also is there and way I can make fan go full speed whole time im playing? il tried a few different programs and none work, is it just the motherboard or am i doing something wrong?

Back