• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling my 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kiwiness

Really Hates OCF Classifieds Member (Blame Ross)
Hey guys, im fixing to LQ my FX 8350 (my first LQ project ever). I have no Idea what type of block to get as in Nickle or copper, what type/size radiator, tubing and all that. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, that was pretty helpful, but it still didn't really explain the difference between the nickle and copper part of the block, is it just that ones cheaper then the other or something completely different? Also what about using say the colored water in the loop? it never mentioned anything about it.

The nickle plating helps prevent oxidation of the copper block. As for the coloured water my advice is to stay away from it. You're going to need a minimum 3x120 rad for that CPU and a case that can accomodate it.

copper is more susceptible to oxidization, where as nickel coated blocks you dont have to worry about it, theres zero difference in their cooling ability. so when breaking down to clean the nickel is just easier to clean. the pure copper block you just have to soak in vinegar or ketsup and its good as new.

as for colored water (dyes) there are many threads with some yummy pictures of clogged blocks and stuff. go with colored tubing + silver kill coil and call it a day.
dye.jpg

dye2.jpg

dye3.jpg

Okay. Could I get away with say a 2x120 rad and a single 120 rad? and would matter if the Rad was slim or regular?

I am cooling an OC'd FX 8350 (4.6Ghz) with a XSPC EX360 rad, XSPC D5 bay res/pump and an EK Supremecy LTX block. It Cools well.

Okay. Could I get away with say a 2x120 rad and a single 120 rad? and would matter if the Rad was slim or regular?
You could get away with it all depending on if you're overclocking it and how far you push. It will also depend on the fans used.

I don't know if you've already purchased a Mobo but if you plan on pushing it I would suggest a Sabertooth R2

Oh yeah ive had it for over a year and love that board, got it when i first did my build and had my fx 6200 in it :)

Right now im running the Arctic Cooler A30 on my it and its doing ok, along with my Raidmax Agusta Black and Green Case

When buying an AIO water cooling product, make sure beforehand that it will fit in your case. Find the dimensions on the radiator and fans together and then make sure you have clearance for it by measuring inside your case. Many mid-sized cases don't have the clearance in the upper rear corner for a radiator w/fans. The top panel is too close to the I/O hardware along the top rear edge of the motherboard.

the binning of the cpu plays into it here also, my fist 8350 was a little on the hot side to say the least, the one I use now will run prime stable at 5.0 with a coolermaster seidon for hours on end and i had one through that ran 4.8 on air without getting to hot.

Well im thinking of using the cooler master glite 370 tower so i dont know if i will have enough space.

One thing I learned with custom water cooling is ALWAYS buy a case bigger than you think you need. Radiators take space ( or do what I did with my 3930k rig and buy an external Watercool MO RA3-420 Pro)

Well im thinking of using the cooler master glite 370 tower so i dont know if i will have enough space.
Before you buy cooling, picking out a suitable case is priority. Figure out exactly what you are getting and we can help you pick out s suitable cooler.

Judging by the looks of the inside of the case I do not feel that you will have enough room at the top of the case for a rad unless you mount the fans outside the case. It sure looks like you will have clearance issues with the top of the motherboard. This is going by the pictures only as I have never owned one. You may want to search around the web and see if anyone has used one with water cooling.

Hrmm okay, now they do have the fan ports set to the left of the case not center, idk if that helps, ill try get a pic up

Back