• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolit ECO Radiator Orientation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fomunda

Registered
Quick question. I ordered a Coolit ECO and while reviewing installation reviews/installation instructions from various sites I noticed the tubing that feeds the radiator have either been on the bottom (per Coolit instructions) and on the top. I am inclined to install the radiator with coolant lines on the bottom per the instructions. Which is the best way to go?

Quick question. I ordered a Coolit ECO and while reviewing installation reviews/installation instructions from various sites I noticed the tubing that feeds the radiator have either been on the bottom (per Coolit instructions) and on the top. I am inclined to install the radiator with coolant lines on the bottom per the instructions. Which is the best way to go?

I went tubes down.

It should't make a difference since there aren't any bubbles in the system. In traditional watercooling, barbs up top is preferred because it allows bubbles in the rad to bleed out more easily...I can't imagine it makes any difference though.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't think it would matter but wanted to check with the "learned ones". Once I get it installed I plan on doinking around with fans to see if performance increases.

FWIW - I am just looking for a nice, quiet, reliable system. Not that it makes a lot of noise now or it is not reliable. But that T120 cooler with dual fans (push/pull) has always had me concnered due to weight.

Thanks for the responses. I didn't think it would matter but wanted to check with the "learned ones". Once I get it installed I plan on doinking around with fans to see if performance increases.

FWIW - I am just looking for a nice, quiet, reliable system. Not that it makes a lot of noise now or it is not reliable. But that T120 cooler with dual fans (push/pull) has always had me concnered due to weight.

I did tubes down just in case there was a bubble I didn't want it getting into the pump...but from all I can tell it is totally sealed without air anywhere in the loop.

I played around quite a bit with mine, if you have matching fans a push/pull works pretty good. I wanted adjust-ability so I run mine in the pull configuration (as it is shipped) with a single fan. I have mine blowing out of the case, but depending on your configuration you might get better results pulling in with fresh air. My case air flow is really good, so it didn't make a big difference to me, ergo I opted to expel the heat out of my case.

I have also seen people mount them in the front of the case, on the roof...I even contemplated mounting mine to the door or the bottom. It's a very flexible unit.

Whichever way it fits. I just got a CoolIt Vantage, spent a bunch of time trying to figure out the proper way to install it. Realized that it doesn't actually matter either way. That's probably the only negative thing I can say about the product is that the tubing is really hard, not very bendable, so you need to install it whatever way it will fit in your case. That being said, I guess it means the product is ultra-durable.

Matt

Thanks for the input.

Next question, based on experience would it be better to have the fan pull air through the radiator or push it. Intuitively I would think it would be better to push it through for more flow but the fan is configured to pull it through. I would think that Coolit would have tried it both ways.

Thanks for the input.

Next question, based on experience would it be better to have the fan pull air through the radiator or push it. Intuitively I would think it would be better to push it through for more flow but the fan is configured to pull it through. I would think that Coolit would have tried it both ways.

I think the pull configuration seems to work the best for me if you only unless you go push pull of course. Although I must admit I haven't given it a full test with push.

I think the pull config draws the most air across the most area in the quietest manor. My reasoning is this, by pushing your moving air by force across the fins directly behind the fan. Whereas in pull, it is drawing air across the entire surface of the radiator. Seems like more of a shroud effect to me. Drawing air like that will have it sweeping air over the very edges of the radiator. I could be nuts though, lol.

maybe i need to draw it... :chair:

I understand your point. I guess I will have more to play with once it is installed.

Yea...see what works best for you. As it comes it is silly easy to install, 4 screws to the fan that is pre-mounted to the radiator.

Here is a terrible rendition of my air theory via my leet MSpaint skillz....
It's really going to depend on your case and stuff though. I have 2x120mm fans on my door right by the rad on the case, so even though it's inside air, it's getting a pretty nice shot of fresh air. I would have maybe had it pulling in from the back of the case, but my firebreathing 4890s are spitting out 60c air back there...so that would probably be worse for me. That and I didn't want to mess with the cases airflow.

Attachments

• HPIM2081.JPG
    HPIM2081.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 575
  • HPIM2080.JPG
    HPIM2080.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 572
I believe push is better because of the way fan blades are designed to create forward pressure...I feel like they would be less efficient at working against backward pressure. Try it and tell us :D, this is one of those questions that's been around forever...it makes <2c difference from what I've seen from conflicting tests...so whichever is easier is really best.

Ill run a bench temp test with prime for 15 minutes both ways, all other settings shall remain constant. ;)

I believe push is better because of the way fan blades are designed to create forward pressure...I feel like they would be less efficient at working against backward pressure. Try it and tell us :D, this is one of those questions that's been around forever...it makes <2c difference from what I've seen from conflicting tests...so whichever is easier is really best.

Testing done!

Constants: 3600mhz 1.38-1.39v, CPU/NB 2600mhz 1.21v, Prime runs of around 15 minutes, room temp about 75c constant. Far from scientific, but it will do. :D

Pull on top, Push on bottom.
hpim2082.jpg
hpim2083.jpg

The Pull Config...
pullconfig.png

The Push Config...
pushconfig.png

Well holy cow. Push (in this config at least) is good for about 2c! I call this a good test too, as you can see from the HWmonitor my TMPIN2 (mobo) temp remains a constant 39c (and yes, it does change if the temp does). By the way, the voltage hops around from 1.38-1.39...it's 1.39 99% of the time, except for the 1% when I took my screenshot, lol.

So Mort' I owe you an apology, and to the OP, I was wrong, push is better. I can only imagine ECO decided on the pull config for convenience of installation. Let it be know, not all cases will fit the rad to the case as I have without some sort of spacers or modification. Not only that, I had to root around for some screws to properly mount it like this. Standard case fan screws will mount it as shipped. So, a strong push/pull with matched fans is still best, but how do you control them variably without a fan speed controller. Next up is the push like I have done. And finally leave it as it was shipped.

For the record people trying to compare these results to the H50, I'm not using the factory ECO fan, I'm using a beast of a Delta fan controlled (turned down) by the BIOS speedfan. Thats why it was about 100 RPMs faster with the hotter result, it varies based on temps. As for this test, it was cooler running with less RPMs as set by my BIOS based on the temps.

A 2c win for Push! :D

Last edited:
Interesting.... Is there any value in performing a similar type test in a stock setup without OC? My hdw is shown in the sig. It may take me a few days to pull it together but I would willing to do so. The ECO is to arrive tomorrow via UPS.

xokeman - was your case open with the side panel off during the test?

Interesting.... Is there any value in performing a similar type test in a stock setup without OC? My hdw is shown in the sig. It may take me a few days to pull it together but I would willing to do so. The ECO is to arrive tomorrow via UPS.

xokeman - was your case open with the side panel off during the test?

Case door was on for both, but it should be noted I have the Storm Scout, and I have two 120mm slow speed fans in the door. So, even though my radiator is pulling air from inside the case, I can't imagine it being more than a degree or two above ambient.

on a side not, I left all my settings constant, including my CPU fan and it's speedfan settings in BIOS...meaning, had I set it to a fixed speed, the results probably would have been even better for the push side. If you look, the push fan speed never gets as high as the pull fan speed...cause it never got as hot.

rant]
Everyone is all enamored with the H50, and I figure it's because Corsiar has such a solid reputation...but I honestly feel the ECO stuff is a better product. Sometimes I think these companies should stick to what they do best. I mean if Thermaltake started making RAM everybody would be like WTF...but a RAM company makes cases, psus, air & water coolers and most people assume all that stuff is going to be awesome. I just don't get it.
/rant]

@your rant: the PSU's are really solid...they seem to think out their stuff pretty well, but the coolers are probably their weakest area. That said, other companies have been less successful, like coolermaster, they need to stay away from the cpu cooler market and just stick with cases, zalman needs to stick to air, everything water they make sucks...long and short, corsair could be doing worse :D

@your rant: the PSU's are really solid...they seem to think out their stuff pretty well, but the coolers are probably their weakest area. That said, other companies have been less successful, like coolermaster, they need to stay away from the cpu cooler market and just stick with cases, zalman needs to stick to air, everything water they make sucks...long and short, corsair could be doing worse :D

100% agreed, I'm just saying. I like their cases, but goodness they are pricey. i guess I'm just too cheap. Their PSUs are legit...wonder who makes them?

Back