• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2 Quad 9550 w/ 8GB 1066MHz RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doppelgamer

I'll start by saying that do not have a lot of experience with adjusting memory timings and voltage, but have read a few articles.

System:

Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 (Stock speed is 333x8.5 = 2.83GHz)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard v1.1 (F12 BIOS)
Windows 7 64-bit
Corsair H50 liquid cooling on CPU

Current RAM:

OCZ Gold XTC - OCZ2G10664GK (2x2GB = 4GB DDR2) CL5-6-6-18 (Running at 1066MHz)

Adding:

OCZ Platinum XTC - OCZ2P10664GK (2x2GB = 4GB DDR2) CL5-5-5-18

Originally, the plan was to simply use all 8 sticks at 1066MHz and CL5-6-6-18. However, this caused many system lockups. Doing some reading, I realized that it can be difficult to get 4 sticks of RAM to run at 1066MHz, and that voltage can be an issue. I checked my BIOS and it seems that I was running with only 1.8V with my old RAM, when it likes 2.1V. The new RAM also states that 2.1V is recommended. I now realize that more RAM slots & speed require more voltage.

I have heard two schools of thought on memory so far. One says to try for 1066MHz and the other says to try for something lower such as 800MHz and faster timings.

Right now, I am experimenting with the FSB at 400MHz instead of 333MHz, and a multiplier of 8. (3.2GHz) The RAM has been set to 800MHz (400x2), the timings are being tested at 5-5-5-15 and CMD is 2. I have increased the RAM voltage to 2V for a start and plan to try 2.1V later. The CPU Core voltage is now at 1.3V and the MCH Core is 1.2V. So far, this has been entirely stable.

What settings would you recommend with regard to CPU & RAM? I don't care about OCing the CPU or RAM to their absolute limits, but would like something fast and stable.

If the RAM is rated at 2.1v, then I'd certainly run it at 2.1v or a tick higher if needed. I prefer a good middle ground of DDR2-1066 with descent latencies (generally more expensive RAM) over DDR2-800 with a 1 or 2 clock advantage on the latency. DDR2-800 might also limit your overclocking once you get into it.

I've never had to run 4 sticks, much less 8 - but as you are discovering: more sticks = more headaches and more stress on the MCH...

Beyond that - it sounds like you are doing alright IMO.

:cool:

If the RAM is rated at 2.1v, then I'd certainly run it at 2.1v or a tick higher if needed. I prefer a good middle ground of DDR2-1066 with descent latencies (generally more expensive RAM) over DDR2-800 with a 1 or 2 clock advantage on the latency. DDR2-800 might also limit your overclocking once you get into it.

I've never had to run 4 sticks, much less 8 - but as you are discovering: more sticks = more headaches and more stress on the MCH...

Beyond that - it sounds like you are doing alright IMO.

:cool:

Thank you for the advice. It is much appreciated.

Hi Doppelgamer! :D
Welcome to the OC Community!
:welcome:
Thanks! That's one comfortable cat. ;)

Back