• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7-920 + P6T-V2 + TRUE Overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
System
Core i7-920
Asus P6T Version 2
Patriot 6GB DDR3
Single 4870X2

Guys, I just ordered a few new goodies for a home theatre PC, and want to achieve at a minimum of a 3.9 GHz 24/7 OC using a TRUE in push/pull with Noctua 56cfm, 19db fans. I will be using a C0 i7-920 cpu and a P6T V2 mobo. Just wondering if these C0 steppings are capable of 21 X 190, 4.0 GHz 24/7 and/or what do they do on average? I was looking at a goal of around 1.35 to 1.39 volts through the CPU,

Thanks in advance. I will also be doing a cooler comparison between the stock Intel HSF and the TRUE push/pull and using this as aresults thread.

Regards,
Dom

UPDATE**
Thanks for the quick responses guys.
So far, before I went to bed last night. I am sitting at 21 X 190, 1.40 vcore (1.36 actual), 1.66 dram, 1.35 vtt, 2.0 qpi. 800mv amplitude. stock timings on the ram, 2T.

It boots vista, rather quick thanks to the X25-M, however it gets a nice and pretty BSOD after a few minutes. Temps are very comfortable at 41*C idle, even at this vcore with the True. However, it booted the same bios selected voltage at 1.30vcore as it did at 1.40vcore, and the bump in voltage did not increase stability at the 4ghz frequency. I am wondering if maybe my chip is a sub 4ghz dud?

Little update. Got home from work, tried upping pll and qpi up 2.00, 1.4 accordingly. Tried booting at 4.0 ghz 190 X 21, at 1.36vcore and it BSOD'd immediately after windows boot. So, I upped vcore to 1.40, which for some reason produced 1.43 actual. And it booted windows fine, but temperatures on all 4 cores encroached 85*C and it BSOD'ed in windows about 2 minutes into prime small ffts.

So, just to be sure the chip wasnt a complete dud I wanted to see if 180 X 21 was doable and I am 1000% confident this chip as 3.80 Ghz @ 1.36v but that is very dissapointing for me personally. So, I am considering picking up that D0 in the classies.

To everyone else with a C0, are you keeping HT enabled or disabled bc I have been seeing some temperature fluctations between the two and I have not tried priming with HT disabled.

Last edited:
i'm going to sub.. since i'm running almost the same system except for the ram and i'm stuck at 3.8 (200x19) 1.368V

in case you want to check numbers... link though even with 1.4 i was not able to get it stable at 200+ and with a x20 in most cases it would not even boot.

I own a rather average C0 and it has no problems running 195x20 with turbo and HT on. It takes 1.375v on the vcore and vtt to achieve that clock with the ram at 1.66v. My system is water-cooled though so my temps are quite nice.

BTW: I'm using an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, but I'm running the V1 1403 BIOS for much better overclocking ability. With the V2 BIOS it took 1.4v on both the vcore and vtt to run the same speeds I mentioned above. I would not recommend flashing your V2 to a V1 unless you really want to get the most out of your system and are willing to live with a bricked board.

So far, before I went to bed last night. I am sitting at 21 X 190, 1.40 vcore (1.36 actual), 1.66 dram, 1.35 vtt, 2.0 qpi. 800mv amplitude. stock timings on the ram, 2T.

It boots vista, rather quick thanks to the X25-M, however it gets a nice and pretty BSOD after a few minutes. Temps are very comfortable at 41*C idle, even at this vcore with the True. However, it booted the same bios selected voltage at 1.30vcore as it did at 1.40vcore, and the bump in voltage did not increase stability at the 4ghz frequency. I am wondering if maybe my chip is a sub 4ghz dud?

This is for a HTPC!?!? Holy ****!

haha. Si senor! This is actually a home theatre/big screen GAMING pc as well. It is connected to a marantz receiver, external 3 channel Emotiva 1000 watt 4ohm amp and a beautiful new Sony XBR flatscreen. This is all driven through a monster audio HDMI cable (1080p video/7.1 dolby digital/dts audio) from the back of the 4870x2 GPU. It is a beautiful rig indeed and I plan on using it A LOT more than my QX9650 test rig, or my other productivity rigs.

Dom

PS- How have you been Jason? Long time bro.

It sounds like you may need more vtt. I need at least 1.375v for my chip to run at those speeds with the RAM running around 1600MHz. You could try running the RAM at a lower speed to ease the strain and see if that helps, but I would bet you need a touch more vtt.

The QPI voltage will need to be upped as the speed usually reaches 7.2Ghz or more from 4.8Ghz stock. Try upping to 1.35V along with that vcore increase to see if that helps. Also if that fails try 1.86V for the PLL voltage.

Is it stable at stock on p95/memtest?

The average i7 920 C0 will reach 4, some as high has 4.3Ghz with <1.45Vcore.

The QPI voltage will need to be upped as the speed usually reaches 7.2Ghz or more from 4.8Ghz stock. Try upping to 1.35V along with that vcore increase to see if that helps. Also if that fails try 1.86V for the PLL voltage.

Is it stable at stock on p95/memtest?

The average i7 920 C0 will reach 4, some as high has 4.3Ghz with <1.45Vcore.

Thanks for the input bro. My last processor was a Core i7-965 extreme like you, and it was cooled under water and my max was only 4.1 so I dont know about all 920 C0's on average reaching 4 GHz. Are you sure? I dont have much experience with anything other than the i7-965 so I am not doubting you, just wondering if thats really true?? But as soon as I get home from work tonight i'm going to try upping the Pll and the qpi tonight. Of course it is stable at stock.

Yeah, I pretty much have mine set up as a big screen HTPC/gaming setup :)

I guess I just use the 32" when gaming though :beer:

Last edited:
Little update. Got home from work, tried upping pll and qpi up 2.00, 1.4 accordingly. Tried booting at 4.0 ghz 190 X 21, at 1.36vcore and it BSOD'd immediately after windows boot. So, I upped vcore to 1.40, which for some reason produced 1.43 actual. And it booted windows fine, but temperatures on all 4 cores encroached 85*C and it BSOD'ed in windows about 2 minutes into prime small ffts.

So, just to be sure the chip wasnt a complete dud I wanted to see if 180 X 21 was doable and I am 1000% confident this chip as 3.80 Ghz @ 1.36v but that is very dissapointing for me personally. So, I am considering picking up that D0 in the classies.

To everyone else with a C0, are you keeping HT enabled or disabled bc I have been seeing some temperature fluctations between the two and I have not tried priming with HT disabled.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,187
I just bought the D0, so consider this a D0 results thread also as soon as the new CPU arrives. lol

dom you have to much money... D0's are no were to be found here in spain..

for the HT i've only tested it with on/off in vantage and there seems to be a temp diference

haha. Si senor! This is actually a home theatre/big screen GAMING pc as well. It is connected to a marantz receiver, external 3 channel Emotiva 1000 watt 4ohm amp and a beautiful new Sony XBR flatscreen. This is all driven through a monster audio HDMI cable (1080p video/7.1 dolby digital/dts audio) from the back of the 4870x2 GPU. It is a beautiful rig indeed and I plan on using it A LOT more than my QX9650 test rig, or my other productivity rigs.

Dom

PS- How have you been Jason? Long time bro.

Doing good man. That is a nice setup! A bit hot for a HTPC, but I'm sure you have a solution for that! :beer:

I've got my HTPC setup for light gaming duty as well, but since my projector is only 720P I don't need a lot of horsepower. E5200 OC'd to 3.6GHz on a P5Q-EM, 4GB at DDR2-900, and my old 8800GTS which I now have undervolted to 1v w/ an 8800GT cooler (only cooler I had that would fit in the case, but it's still stable at stock speeds). All of this in a Antec NSK2400 which keeps everything cool and quiet w/ the fans on low. I still haven't played any games on it yet, though, LOL!

DVI-HDMI to the projector (95" screen)
TOSLINK to the Sony 7.1 Receiver - Paradigm speakers

Last week I decided to see what it would take to get mine stable at 4gig with HT on since I run with it off and right now don't use any software that really uses more than 2 threads.

Here is a shot of what I came up with. (Idle voltage at those settings was 1.18)

linx.png

Here is what I run with 24/7 (not a stress test just to show temps and volts)

TempLoad247.png

TempIdle247.png

And the actual stress I did to fing my 24/7 settings.

p9512hrR.png

BTW mine also is pretty much an HTPC. The only monitor is a 47" LCD and used mainly to record edit and transcode to xvid for archiving HDTV.

Thanks for your results bud! So, HT is turned on you are pretty much using the same settings as me with similar temps but you have a substantial bump in overclock potential. Starting to make me glad that I purchased the D0 from MIAHALLEN. Just wondering is that with Turbo enabled?

It is with Turbo on (only way to get the 21x multi)

The P6T V2 flashed with v1 bios (like I am using) allows you to use the 21X multi with turbo disabled. So, that is how I have been benching. Turbo disabled and straight 21 X 190 setting.

Back