• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core-i7 965 + Crossfire Goodness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
I told myself I was never going to do it, but I am an avid FSX buff and when news came to me yesterday that Core i7 is displaying dramatic framerate increases of 25 to 50% in some instances over C2D I had to give it a try for myself. Any flight simulator buff that has a wealth of airport/scenery/object addons knows that on some occasions FPS can go as low as 3 to 7 FPS even on a heavily overclocked and high end 4 GHz+ C2D/Penryn system.

This thread will provide stock HSF air cooling overclock results as well as a few other tidbits for you guys/gals.

Official Hardware List:
Core i7 Extreme 965 (3836A767)
6GB 3X2 Patriot Extreme DDR3 (not my first choice)
Asus p6t-deluxe (not my first choice)
Crossfire Dual Visiontek 4870X2's (not my first choice)
Velociraptor 150GB + Seagate 7200.11 750GB
Corsair HX1000 Modular PSU

VISTA 32-bit for the time being, 64-bit when i get the OS

Wish me luck fellas. X-Mas came a little early this year due to my stubborn behavior. KEEP POSTED FOR RESULTS AFTER I FINISH THIS BUILD IN A FEW HOURS

Dom

UPDATE

Although I am stuck at 3.90 GHz for the time being until I receive my Apogee GTZ and watercooling parts it doesnt mean I cant do a little testing. The FSX testing that I had promised came out extremely beneficial! Although not 30 to 50% like some had stated, the results are on average, clock for clock close to 30% better on the Core i7 system so I am very impressed.

Fraps was used as the measurement tool for average FPS and time demos were created for JFK Approach and JFK Night Takeoff. All settings were ULTRA HIGH, Resolution was 1600 X 1200, anti-aliasing on, light blooms were activated, traffic and all features/objects on Ultra high. This config is enough to bring any system to its knees. I had simply plugged in one of my new Visiontek HD4870X2's in my QX9650 NLH test bench and here are the results vs. i7:
FSX.jpg

Those temps are insane... so I guess we can assume that to OC the i7 @4+ ghz we need to spend $ on a water cooling setup as well? Could be the stock cooler is just really bad.

Also, try benching Supreme Commander if possible. It's another CPU heavy game that should show some good i7 results.

Thanks for your reply. That is correct, I think the stock cooler is a horrible option for 4.0 Ghz on a Core i7. I have today, managed a stable clock of 3.91 GHz at 1.34 vcore which produces a staggering 94*C load. The chip is great and intels 45nm halfnium process is once again showing to be a clocker, however HEAT is the serious issue holding me back here. Example, it is totally stable, no errors, priming absolutely fine but once it hits 100*C my experience so far has been system reboots and auto power downs.. ie: thermal shutdown.

So until I put a water cooling solution on this i7 I am fine with this clockspeed and it was 7 hours stable overnight, including 1 hour tonight for additional FPU testing:

maxair.jpg

Attachments

• domnew.jpg
    domnew.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:
YAY!!!

did you think about getting the Gigabyte X58-UD5? exact same board as the extreme but no wc'd NB and cheaper then the P6T as well.

YAY!!!

did you think about getting the Gigabyte X58-UD5? exact same board as the extreme but no wc'd NB and cheaper then the P6T as well.

GIGABYTE IS MY FIRST CHOICE DUDE!!, actually the exact UD5 that you mentioned. I am so upset that I got stuck with this Asus P6T but I was so stubborn about this whole deal that I simpyl drove 45 minutes to my local Microcenter and purchased whatever they had in stock = Dominick32 sickness :beer:

ah i see now, you have the "sickness",lol :)

what no ss's yet? :p
nothing like the smell of fresh electronics!

Great Dom:eek:, can't wait to see how those X2's sing in harmony with that 965...damn nice setup man, I'm very excited for your sake:beer:

Just installed Vista 32-bit for the time being. Currently installing catalyst 8.11 plus assorted drivers. Coretemp and Realtemp is displaying an average idle of 38*C on all 4 cores. This is using the stock HSF. Its getting late, this may need to wait until tomorrow guys. I am currently at stock clockspeed.

The reason the build took so long tonight was because this damn motherboard is having incompatibilitys with my Patriot Ram. I literally had to individually move sticks around until the board was happy. It wouldnt even post before.

Just performed a baseline 3dmark06 result. Stock CPU Clocks and Stock Crossfire 4870X2 clocks.

Attachments

• 3dmark06.jpg
    3dmark06.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 588
I am looking forward to seeing what this baby can do. I hope the X2s scale well. I'm waiting on my i7-920.

haha. Still at work guys. Plenty of results will come tonight. I am planning on comparing stock 3.2 GHz crossfire framerate tests (crysis, fc2, 3dmark, fear, world in conflict) than finding my maximum stable overclock to run the same tests over to see if we indeed do experience an explosive Core i7 benefit in high res, ultra quality when using multiple GPU's. Than of course I am going to be playing FSX for a few evenings straight. hehe Very excited to leave work, I keep looking at the clock.

Back