• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core-i7 965 + Crossfire Goodness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i've only had my q6600 and my p5q pro, but now i want an i7...

i'll wait for the phenom II's to get released, and hopefully to either beat the i7's (not likely), or come close enough to force intel to drop some prices (wishful thinking, but *cough*HD4000 series

+ subscribed.

I am also a huge FS(X) freak so this is a much anticipated thread for me. I know I was a bit disappointed about how FSX behaves with my C2D + 4850, between all the scenery and traffic add-ons I frequently hit sub- 10 FPS frame rates coming into major airports..

Looking forward to your finding my friend, best of luck. If all goes well I see an i7 under my x-mas tree this year.

Last edited:
my iuncle may like this, another FSX fan stinks the game seems to be "badly" or poorly coded that no matter what hardware you throw at it, or how fast a CPU, it just doesnt perform well!

Just started clocking her a little bit tonight. It seems 1.34 v is good enough for 154 X 26 (4.02 GHz) and I honestly think that is going to be MAX 24/7 for the time being. I am using the stock Intel HSF and temperatures are encroaching the 80*C mark under Prime which I hear is perfectly normal for the 965 extreme, but way too hot for my taste. I am going to jump in the shower and see if she can hold prime for 30 minutes or so.

Brolloks, the i965 doesnt need QPI as much as the i920/i940, 6.4GT/s stock over 4.8GT/s on the i920/i940, and it also doesnt seem to like qpi as much as them either, i have em all sitting here :p i940 is my favourite on air..

man oh man fellas. This chip will not run stable at 4.0 GHz @ 1.34v, too much heat. It hits 100*C and goes into thermal shutdown restarting or powering down the rig. It did this to me twice already.

3.90 Ghz @ 1.30v is just enough voltage to remain stable and not enough to bring temps higher than 90*C load so rig does not go into thermal shutdown. Wow, these buggers are hot!!

Brolloks! I need your temp information STAT!!! I honestly thought 4.0 GHz would be cake with the stock Intel HSF. I guessed wrong. I am going to pick up a waterblock as soon as there is a solid product on the market.

Attachments

• hot.jpg
    hot.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 427
Although I am stuck at 3.90 GHz for the time being until I receive my Apogee GTZ and watercooling parts it doesnt mean I cant do a little testing. The FSX testing that I had promised came out extremely beneficial! Although not 30 to 50% like some had stated, the results are on average, clock for clock close to 30% better on the Core i7 system so I am very impressed.

Fraps was used as the measurement tool for average FPS and time demos were created for JFK Approach and JFK Night Takeoff. All settings were ULTRA HIGH, Resolution was 1600 X 1200, anti-aliasing on, light blooms were activated, traffic and all features/objects on Ultra high. This config is enough to bring any system to its knees. I had simply plugged in one of my new Visiontek HD4870X2's in my QX9650 NLH test bench and here are the results vs. i7:

FSX.jpg

Last edited:
Ah hah! That looks more like it :)

Wow, that is definitely impressive. 25ish% difference. Though I wonder if amount of RAM and general platform difference are playing factors as well

Stock cooler?? Come on Dom you should know better than this. :p

Your telling me G, unfortunately I bought all of my gear at Microcenter locally, and the techs in the store didnt even know what LGA1366 was, it couldve been the model number of a coffee machine to them.. LOL

My only option was stock cooler for the time being, I honestly had no idea these little buggers run so hot. I have some WC parts on order, so its all good.

Ah hah! That looks more like it

Wow, that is definitely impressive. 25ish% difference. Though I wonder if amount of RAM and general platform difference are playing factors as well

Jive,
The ram speeds were both in and around 1600 MHz give or take, and since I am using Vista 32-bit for both rigs, my 6GB of ram is limited on the Core i7 setup to 2.5 GB. How you been bro? Hope all is well!

Last edited:
Back