• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core-i7 965 + Crossfire Goodness

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dom,
would you do a run with the memory in dual channel mode?

Thats a great idea Michael. I am at work now, but between tonight and tomorrow I think thats what future testing will consist of: Dual Channel vs. Tri Channel Mode performance difference. Great idea man!

Dom

Those runs are with both X2's in the cockpit right Dom?

Brolloks,
There is only 1 card in each system. I own two Visiontek 4870 X2's but in order to do the single card testing I have made it easier on myself by installing only 1 card in each system.

Regards,
Dom

PS- Hear of any results using the Apogee GTZ waterblock with Core i7 backplate and mount conversion?

Dom

Dom NO!!!! hehe.. you should see more benefits from 2 cards. Try that on both systems, 1 by 1

Oh absolutely you would see a huge benefit using a multi gpu setup with i7! lol :thup: But I was just too lazy to install both cards in both systems and run the benches seperate. Plus, this will give a more clock for clock analysis for the economical and budget minded OCFer.. Disregarding the 4870x2 and the 965 EE that is. :)

I just ordered a kit and will install it this weekend, hope to see some better cooling than with my ghetto self-made plate ;)

I'll be interested to see what happens here. I ordered the True 120 extreme, but if there is a huge difference, I'll switch my WC from my other rig to this one.

I just ordered a kit and will install it this weekend, hope to see some better cooling than with my ghetto self-made plate ;)

Thanks a million bro. Based on your temp results I am going to make a purchase also!

Those temps are insane... so I guess we can assume that to OC the i7 @4+ ghz we need to spend $ on a water cooling setup as well? Could be the stock cooler is just really bad.

Also, try benching Supreme Commander if possible. It's another CPU heavy game that should show some good i7 results.

Those temps are insane... so I guess we can assume that to OC the i7 @4+ ghz we need to spend $ on a water cooling setup as well? Could be the stock cooler is just really bad.

Also, try benching Supreme Commander if possible. It's another CPU heavy game that should show some good i7 results.

Thanks for your reply. That is correct, I think the stock cooler is a horrible option for 4.0 Ghz on a Core i7. I have today, managed a stable clock of 3.91 GHz at 1.34 vcore which produces a staggering 94*C load. The chip is great and intels 45nm halfnium process is once again showing to be a clocker, however HEAT is the serious issue holding me back here. Example, it is totally stable, no errors, priming absolutely fine but once it hits 100*C my experience so far has been system reboots and auto power downs.. ie: thermal shutdown.

So until I put a water cooling solution on this i7 I am fine with this clockspeed and it was 7 hours stable overnight, including 1 hour tonight for additional FPU testing. I havent even messed with base bus clocks at all yet. Do not want to put any more strain on the system until I get some water under the hood.

maxair.jpg

Dom, while waiting for the block, mind do the UVOC thingy and the cpu temp shots on idle and loaded ?

Really curious with these new Hafnium process. ;)

4GHz 24/7 should be easy at reasonable temperatures with high-end air cooling (heatpipes) even if it won't bench as fast with a water cooled rig.

Back