• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 990x - Still High Price?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knight1fox3

Registered
Can anyone give a reasonable explanation for why the Core i7-990x is still so highly priced? Especially considering the 1366 chipset is dead and the latest gen. Ivy Bridge/Haswell CPUs could run circles around it. Not to mention running more efficiently and cooler too.

I'm still running a 1366 system and have always thought it would be awesome to upgrade to an out-of-date extreme CPU. So I periodically check prices and even today, they still go for like $5-600, used! Seems kind of ridiculous to me but maybe I'm out of line in that thinking. Just curious if anyone else has any feedback on this. Thanks.

Because its still a 6-core hyperthreaded CPU. For people that utilize the cores, its still faster than a 4770k.

Xeon L5639 is a hex 1366 for alot cheaper dosent clock as high or as easily but the preformance/price is there.

Edit I actually own one 4.1 is the highest GHz I have got.

Last edited:
Xeon L5639 is a hex 1366 for alot cheaper dosent clock as high or as easily but the preformance/price is there.

Xeon is a great way to go for 1366 if you just want a cheap station

Because its still a 6-core hyperthreaded CPU. For people that utilize the cores, its still faster than a 4770k.

Edit I actually own one 4.1 is the highest GHz I have got.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm just looking at it from an age perspective rather than a "it's still a 6-core hyp. CPU" perspective. Still hoping I stumble across one for like $200 less than what they are now. I'll jump on it for sure.

As for the Xeon, I guess I really didn't think about that. I'll check to see what they are going for. Would that also require me to go with ECC memory? And would there be any noticeable performance gains by going with a Xeon as compared to my current i7-950 running at 4.0GHz?

Won't need ECC unless you're running a motherboard that requires ECC.

You'll have to look into reviews/benchmarks for the 6-core Xeons to see what your performance will be.
The big question is, will you utilize the extra cores?

The OC is not guaranteed by any stretch you need a board that is capable of some pretty high Bclk 220+ since the multiplier is locked on the chip to 18x. I just picked it up for 90$.

Back