• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone know if I can still safely overclock my Asus Z170-A i7 6700 non k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MonteKristo

Registered
Greetings all. I am here because I would really like to overclock my PC. I have an Asus Z170-A i7 6700 non k with a gtx 1070. Right now I have the 1070 OC'd at just 65 on the core and 540 on the memory I'm just playing it safe and I'm new to this. Actually I'm dropping the memory down to 500 because cpu temps have been hitting 80-83.
I have scoured the web and the latest seemingly reliable info on OC'ing my PC is over 2 years old and I just want to make sure thaty I don't brick my PC.
The guide I found seems straight forward and a very quick process(due to it being a non k) but in the comments I've noticed people having trouble with bios issues.
I use it for VR mainly and I've been noticing my cpu temps high and it running at 100% when I record with a virtual green screen.
If anyone could help or point me in the right direction(s), I would greatly appreciate it.

Because you have a non-k CPU, it may be possible to OC still by increasing the bus. This depends on the mobo and bios... you may need to resort to a 3rd party modified bios to unlock bus adjustments, as Intel locked it down. Further complicating this, it is understood that newer microcode is also locking out the functionality. As microcode can be loaded by the OS, and there has been deployments of it recently for Meltdown/Spectre protection, it is likely a fully patched Windows system might not allow this form of OC. There are some other problems too, such as it reduces AVX performance, and per-core temperature sensing no longer works, although you can still read the package temperature.

Taken all the above combined, I really can't recommend going that route for a serious use system. Too much pain and risk for too little gain. If you do want to overclock, replace it with either 6700k or 7700k.

thanks for the response. well that sucks. I've heard alot of people claimm to have done it. And even from entering my Bios it's designed to cater to overclocking from wha t it seems to my limited knowledge. There is even a section in there called tweakers paradise...the BLCK i think. And it only takes minutes they say...yeah not fair. I used the ez tuner and synched all my clocks and they are running at 4ghz and even hit 4.103 tonight but maxed out at 83F. The crappy thing is from what it seems if i went through the BLCK I would get more power with less heat lol

Even with the right bios BCLK is very limited on non K. AVX quits at 103 BCLK. Most boards get into trouble around 107 or so.......with a few high end exceptions of course.

Back