• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair 800D air cooling build question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_Cyberpunk_

Okay, I am having a bit of a problem choosing a chassis for my next build. I have looked at hundreds of full tower cases and the only one that fully satisfies me in terms of aesthetics is the Corsair Obsidian 800D. It seems to be common knowledge that this case is utter trash when it comes to air cooling and I don't want to take the risk of water cooling, not even a closed loop system like the H100. Searching for the issue on google I have come across multiple threads where people were having the same issue, trying to make it fit for air cooling (even on this very board, but I didn't want to necro the thread). So here is my question, do any of you guys have experience with air cooling the 800D with different fan configurations? I was considering using Corsair AF series fans. Here is my mock up:

KrGwl3x.png

I am mostly concerned about my three graphics cards not getting enough air. Is there any way to have more air flowing in from the bottom? Also I am not quite sure what I should do with the third top fan. I figure that it would be rather useless to use it as an intake, but using it as an exhaust is even more concerning. Is it a bad idea to exhaust air right next to an intake? (I also want to use a magnatic 380mm radiator dust filter on top, which could cause some problems when having one fan set to exhaust)

I also intend to overclock my CPU which is very likely going to be a 4770k to around 4.7 GHz, depending on the heat and required vcore as supposedly someone managed to OC it to 5GHz at just 0.8V. I am also going to OC the 780s but only within the stock voltage configuration. Do you think this kind of build would be possible, or would the temps (and noise) be abysmal?

Even if you use an open test bench the top two 780s are gonna be hot. The 800d as you have setup will be good cooling.

Your issue is the three 780s. The 800d will hold the watercooling you'll prolly want to upgrade too someday.

I'll mention the 780s run cooler so maybe not so much an issue. If you push the GPUs maybe a heat issue.

The lower card is not a 780, but a 480, with a Fermi GF100 GPU, which is infamous for it's heat. Would those three cards together be an issue with any other chassis, like the 900D for instance? Also I don't really plan on doing water cooling anytime soon. Not worth the risk in my opinion as even experienced watercoolers have had leaks once or twice.

Why don't you go for something like a Cosmos 2? The 800D isn't designed for what you're wanting to build. It's not going to stay cool with 3 high end GPUs.

Those GPUs are gonna be hot no matter what case he uses. That's the key, but folks do it.

OP: Get a great case, look around pick one and Google case reviews out there and just live with knowledge that the GPU fans are gonna be loud.

Two 780s and a 480...I would highly recommend getting a case with side panel fans to get direct cold air on those GPUs.

Cosmos II has 2 fans that point at the GPU slots (at least on my huge mobo, idk about normal ones) when I put two 120mm Yate Loon High speeds there my GPU temps (only 1 670 there now, will be 4 eventually) dropped by ~5C.

Cases with GPU fans seem hard to find, really.

I do wonder if bottom pointing intake fans would help as well.

Bottom fans might help. Main problem is that (with multi-card setups) the GPU are squeezed against each other. The bottom card has space below it for intake air, but the top card(s) are choked. Forcing air in between the cards would be what I assume to help the most, which is either side panel fan or a front intake that has a duct straight to the GPUs.

With your single 670, it's not as choked for air, so the side fan would help less.

Last edited:
Amen Knu, the cards with even forced air can't get enuff airflow. I done it I tried, the top cards were 20C above the bottom cards, I hit 95ish C on the top card in the past. They get HOT. The stock cooling works but the OP (Cyber) is gonna live with 100% fan noise under load.

Air cooling multiple GPUs seems to have many inherent problems :*(

Really if you can afford multiple 780s or Titans you should make a custom loop...

There's other deterrents from making a custom loop other than cost....risk of leaking + need for periodic maintenance. Custom liquid isn't for everyone (I know it's probably not for me, for example).

Back