• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair 900D WC Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Check out my sig. I'm cooling a 3930K + 2 GTX 670s and I need 2 360 rads to keep thermals reasonable. Despite the quad Alpha cool being a GREAT rad I would definitely add at least a 360 rad for 2 590s and a 2600K. The Corsair 900D has PLENTY of room.
Another 360 with a quad monsta w/ SP120 HP? I'd think maybe the 45mm thick 240 might be good enough but I guess a 360, but for ideal temps or excellent temps?

If the price difference isn't large, you have plenty of room for a triple rad in the top of your Corsair 900D. It gives you the ability to run all of your fans on a slower speed.

If the price difference isn't large, you have plenty of room for a triple rad in the top of your Corsair 900D. It gives you the ability to run all of your fans on a slower speed.
I'll have to science a bit to figure out how my 120.4 will perform. Considering ambient, especially around fall, is about 15ºC, even if it's 50ºC under load, I really won't care lol, during benchmarks, I was hitting 95ºC air cooler. Extremely super low temps aren't my concern, but they are nice to have.

EDIT: Watercooling scientists suggest 120.3 extra. I could do 120.4 since I COULD! If you can, why not? Right? Just because of all of this, I'll be trying to pick up a job at Dominos this Friday to help my dad out because I feel so guilty, it's like when I first bought this computer and I don't want that bad experience to happen.

Rad Question: If I go for 120.4, I plan to hit alphacool low fpi route once more. Which thickness doesn't sound like COMPLETE overkill? 30, 45 or 60mm? No more Monsta for me...this one is already a struggle trying to even move it into position. One is enough. So basically loop will consist of, what I think:

Res/Pump --> 120.4 Rad at bottom --> 590 SLI --> 120.4 Rad up top --> CPU --> Res/Pump //The CPU and 120.4 Rad can be interchangeable.

Last edited:
Yeah. I'd grab the same quad rad in the bottom and stick on up top and add a 120.2 on the other side. You'll need all the heat surface you can get against 4 Fermi's. Good god man. lol

Don't think it was worth grabbing another Fermi for $400. You do get some good performance but can run into issues as quad SLI is known for or SLI/Xfire in general. Prolly equivalent to 2 or 3 GTX 680s but you have to think am I going to be Vram capped on games out now? Most likely yes. Reference GTX 770s we going to be down to the $320 range soon. For $400 I would've bought a soon to be price cut GTX 770 4 GB Classified which will have the power of almost those GPUs in quad with way less power consumption and heat generated.

Yeah. I'd grab the same quad rad in the bottom and stick on up top and add a 120.2 on the other side. You'll need all the heat surface you can get against 4 Fermi's. Good god man. lol

Don't think it was worth grabbing another Fermi for $400. You do get some good performance but can run into issues as quad SLI is known for or SLI/Xfire in general. Prolly equivalent to 2 or 3 GTX 680s but you have to think am I going to be Vram capped on games out now? Most likely yes. Reference GTX 770s we going to be down to the $320 range soon. For $400 I would've bought a soon to be price cut GTX 770 4 GB Classified which will have the power of almost those GPUs in quad with way less power consumption and heat generated.
6 GB is well enough for a single 1920x1080. Of course, it would've been logical to get maybe even a 780 if I waited. BUT THEN AGAIN! 4 GPUs should be better than 1. There is a reason for my insanity, even though if it isn't logical. Another Monsta will make me cry Jack lol, this is such a thick rad, I underestimated it. I'd rather get another but 60 or 45mm thick 480mm. A 120.2 on top of that? If that's for 10ºC Delta or less, I'll think I'll pass on 3 rads... I'd rather have a 120.8 than a 120.10. I'm actually considering money, sort of, at this point. Also, I forgot to mention the AX1200i is here and more beautiful than ever.

Attachments

• IMG_20131028_173533_520.jpg
    IMG_20131028_173533_520.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 425
6 GB is well enough for a single 1920x1080. Of course, it would've been logical to get maybe even a 780 if I waited. BUT THEN AGAIN! 4 GPUs should be better than 1. There is a reason for my insanity, even though if it isn't logical. Another Monsta will make me cry Jack lol, this is such a thick rad, I underestimated it. I'd rather get another but 60 or 45mm thick 480mm. A 120.2 on top of that? If that's for 10ºC Delta or less, I'll think I'll pass on 3 rads... I'd rather have a 120.8 than a 120.10. I'm actually considering money, sort of, at this point. Also, I forgot to mention the AX1200i is here and more beautiful than ever.

Congrats on the PSU. It's a great one. I know I sure love mine.

Reason why I say grab another rad is because those 590s will generate so much heat in that loop. 2 quad rads I would advice just for those 2 590s. Adding a 120.2 would be basically for the CPU, hypothetically but it all would be one big loop in a very nice big case.

As for GPUs, not all the time more GPU's are better than 1. Actually its the other way around. Having one new GPU can be as powerful as a dual GPU in the past. Also Vram is not combined for a total of said ram. It's BS marketing on their part. If those 590s state they are 6 GB because of 2 GPU's than it will be 3 GBs what you actually really have. Out of those 2 590s, only 3 GB will be registered in all your games. It's good enough actually for todays games. If it was 1.5 GB like the other Fermis than I would really worry.

Congrats on the PSU. It's a great one. I know I sure love mine.

Reason why I say grab another rad is because those 590s will generate so much heat in that loop. 2 quad rads I would advice just for those 2 590s. Adding a 120.2 would be basically for the CPU, hypothetically but it all would be one big loop in a very nice big case.

As for GPUs, not all the time more GPU's are better than 1. Actually its the other way around. Having one new GPU can be as powerful as a dual GPU in the past. Also Vram is not combined for a total of said ram. It's BS marketing on their part. If those 590s state they are 6 GB because of 2 GPU's than it will be 3 GBs what you actually really have. Out of those 2 590s, only 3 GB will be registered in all your games. It's good enough actually for todays games. If it was 1.5 GB like the other Fermis than I would really worry.
You're completely right on the new GPUs, I should of, but I didn't, oh well. Once one of these 590s dies out, I'll swap em out. I don't need to too much and these are enough for the games I plan to play. I need to keep some integrity when it comes to my purchase.

Do you think it would be terrible if I just went 120.8 and the other 120.4 just be 45mm or 60mm? More rads = more pain in my eyes, and it's more money with fans and just a lot of money. Can't believe I went from trying to just liquid cool my single 590 to this.

HEY GUYS! REMEMBER WHEN I SAID I'M GOING TO UPGRADE MY MOBO?! Well goddamn that time is now again. The 2nd PCI e slot will not allow the GPU to go in. It goes halfway and I try little shoves, nope, tried both cards, nothing. Hey at least I can get a nice color board.

Last edited:
HEY GUYS! REMEMBER WHEN I SAID I'M GOING TO UPGRADE MY MOBO?! Well goddamn that time is now again. The 2nd PCI e slot will not allow the GPU to go in. It goes halfway and I try little shoves, nope, tried both cards, nothing. Hey at least I can get a nice color board.

:facepalm:

Pictures pls.

Make sure the back plate "fingers" or w/e you want to call them are inserted in properly to the case. Also make sure they aren't bent out of shape as that can happen.

Make sure you're not hitting anything on the MB or the GPU. Just take your time.

I did your checklist, even checked for extraneous things, if any, and still no luck. Went at it for a couple hours last night with no success. Grabbed some Advil and went to sleep. I'm just gonna grab an ASUS V Extreme with the other parts I need. It fits my color scheme and helps with some OCing I want to do.

I did your checklist, even checked for extraneous things, if any, and still no luck. Went at it for a couple hours last night with no success. Grabbed some Advil and went to sleep. I'm just gonna grab an ASUS V Extreme with the other parts I need. It fits my color scheme and helps with some OCing I want to do.

I remember when I was adding the GPU it wouldn't fit right away because I had to make sure the I/O back panel fit in the grooves of the case.

You just bought this board right or is this from the preexisting PC? Something isn't adding up here. Is there something in the PCI-E slot? Have you tried the other slots? What makes you think the more expensive MB will work? It could run into the same issue.

I remember when I was adding the GPU it wouldn't fit right away because I had to make sure the I/O back panel fit in the grooves of the case.

You just bought this board right or is this from the preexisting PC? Something isn't adding up here. Is there something in the PCI-E slot? Have you tried the other slots? What makes you think the more expensive MB will work? It could run into the same issue.
This is my 2 year old Alienware motherboard that came with the PC and was notorious for having issues.
This was my 3rd replacement in the first month of having the computer. There's only 2 PCI-E slots and the I/O back panel is fine and had been fine. I'm almost sure one tiny thing is wrong with the slot. Either way, I've really wanted a board to match the red black color scheme and something different from the ugliest BIOS ever. There are up to 5 PCI-E slots on the new one, however. Can someone have a dream and have the old mobo be resold in a bundle of my used parts?

This is my 2 year old Alienware motherboard that came with the PC and was notorious for having issues.
This was my 3rd replacement in the first month of having the computer. There's only 2 PCI-E slots and the I/O back panel is fine and had been fine. I'm almost sure one tiny thing is wrong with the slot. Either way, I've really wanted a board to match the red black color scheme and something different from the ugliest BIOS ever. There are up to 5 PCI-E slots on the new one, however. Can someone have a dream and have the old mobo be resold in a bundle of my used parts?

That MB isn't worth that much. Hense why we always say custom building is the way to go. Since you're looking to pretty much have a upgraded custom PC, I would steer away from the pricey extreme and look at this MB that has the same colors you want to be part of yolur theme at $250+ less. MSI Z77

You can get MBs with your CPU for an average of $130 that will do the same thing the more expensive ones will do and you won't really see a performance increase from it.

Sorry for the long departure, but sorry Jack, I enjoy this Maximus V in my life, also the raystorm backplate wasn't going in my old mobo, new mobo no problems. An issue I went through was the Monsta not allowing the CPU 8-pin to plug in, oh well, I swapped it out with the UT45. I have the Raystorm installed, the 480 UT45 in pull and I'm currently figuring out how to route my Two 590s with two different waterblocks with 4 90° fittings and a sli bridge. Note, I gambled hoping one of the inlets would line up. Sooooo close but no. One of my last questions is if I can use the AX1200i fan as a single push fan for the monsta on the bottom in pull? I would've done the Monsta in push but sadly there's the PSU in the way. Btw I'm a lack of pics because software failed on my old computer. I'm not caring about that now but just a heads up.

I can use the AX1200i fan as a single push fan for the monsta on the bottom in pull? I would've done the Monsta in push but sadly there's the PSU in the way. Btw I'm a lack of pics because software failed on my old computer. I'm not caring about that now but just a heads up.

That fan on the PSU is used to pull air in and exhaust in the back. Your PSU fan should be facing towards the side of the filter so it gets fresh air when it needs to cool down.

Don't quite get your bottom radiator configuration as a pic would help us sort that out.

Also you should always measure how much room you have for any component so you don't run into any issues.

That fan on the PSU is used to pull air in and exhaust in the back. Your PSU fan should be facing towards the side of the filter so it gets fresh air when it needs to cool down.

Don't quite get your bottom radiator configuration as a pic would help us sort that out.

Also you should always measure how much room you have for any component so you don't run into any issues.
Sorry, I wasn't aware the PSU fan was in pull, my plan would be then to put Monsta on bottom in push fans in front. The side below the window that is. Then I'd remove the filter on the other side so air goes through, I'm guessing it would be weird with the fan pushing air towards the PSU. sorry again Jack, I'm only on a phone and uploading a picture here takes a long time.

Sorry, I wasn't aware the PSU fan was in pull, my plan would be then to put Monsta on bottom in push fans in front. The side below the window that is. Then I'd remove the filter on the other side so air goes through, I'm guessing it would be weird with the fan pushing air towards the PSU. sorry again Jack, I'm only on a phone and uploading a picture here takes a long time.

Ok. I think I have your configuration down. If you don't have a radiator on the PSU side just leave that panel closed.

I have positive pressure setup in my case. I have all my bottom, front and top fans as intake and use the back grill as exhaust.

Ok. I think I have your configuration down. If you don't have a radiator on the PSU side just leave that panel closed.

I have positive pressure setup in my case. I have all my bottom, front and top fans as intake and use the back grill as exhaust.
Oh ok I assumed it helps airflow and my plan is front and bottom are intake and top and back are exhaust. Written on paper and with common sense, it feels like it does make sense.

Also, is there an easy-ish way to install radiators or will they forever be a pain in my arse and be a 2 person job?:bang head

Back