• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair AX1500i @ JonnyGuru

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Always love to read the reviews OkWolf writes, always entertaining as well as a really nice unit.

the wolfman definitely has a way with words. his psu reviews rock
always enjoyed our very own bobnova's as well

Pretty wild PSU.

Last I heard, OW was keeping this one for a while. Almost certainly he's mining with it, that's somewhere that the last % in efficiency actually makes a difference.
Maybe even enough of a difference to offset not selling a $450 PSU (which, to be fair, would probably sell for $200 profit at best. Selling review PSUs is very painful. It's part of the reason I got out of it) eventually.

Pretty wild PSU.

Last I heard, OW was keeping this one for a while. Almost certainly he's mining with it, that's somewhere that the last % in efficiency actually makes a difference.
Maybe even enough of a difference to offset not selling a $450 PSU (which, to be fair, would probably sell for $200 profit at best. Selling review PSUs is very painful. It's part of the reason I got out of it) eventually.

I was kidding about buying this one. This thing is pretty much meant for people running insane mining rigs anyway. I can't really see any other use for it.

Selling review PSUs is very painful. It's part of the reason I got out of it) eventually.

Literally every single PSU I own has been one of OW's review units and every one of them has been rock solid.

figuring the fact that just about every psu made is most efficient at 50%load, if you have the cash- larger psu seem to offer something back over time

If you are a miner/F@H/Seti/Rosetta etc, I certainly agree! Otherwise, it will take a loooong time to make up that initial cash out lay difference if you are not running the PC 24/7. In fact, depending on your uses, you may not ever make it up over the useful lifespan of the PSU if it isn't running nearly 24/7.

but value in possible future expansions, and knowing you have a top flight psu should have some merit of value.
I know that not everyone is capable of purchasing a $400 psu. personally I do value having an oversized psu
I am not being arguementative, just stating my opinion

Me either (being argumentative). :)

I also agree for future expansion. Just from a pure monetary standpoint, which was the only thing you mentioned in the initial post, its likely not worth it. The difference % wise in efficiency between 50% and 80% is normally a % or two on a lot of PSU's which money wise, for my electricity costs (10 cents /kwh) is almost nothing over the life of the PSU (I don't run 24/7).

The problem is, a lot of people overbuy regardless. 700W PSUs for one GPU only. I don't understand why anyone would do that when a quality 550W PSU would suffice for any single GPU setup and (non volt modded) overclocking. If there is ever a possibility to go multi card, it sure does make sense to buy for that need. Otherwise, there is no way I am buying a PSU to run at 50% capacity for efficiency reasons only as, again unless you are mining/folding/etc, you won't make up the cost difference.

Where's the link to the classifieds thread? ;)

Does not and will never exist. Over my dead body is it leaving my house ;)

Currently, it is the most efficient PSU to ever power the office rig. At any power level and at current power draw. The rig's pulling 400W right now. Software says 99% efficiency, but in reality it's more like 92%.

I've had several Gold and Platinum units of various sizes go through that rig - this thing's more efficient than all of them, though the Antec HCP-1300 gives it a run for its money.

If I sell it, I'll never see another one. Can't afford to buy units like this... might as well keep the one I have.

Last edited:
Does not and will never exist. Over my dead body is it leaving my house ;)

Currently, it is the most efficient PSU to ever power the office rig. At any power level and at current power draw. The rig's pulling 400W right now. Software says 99% efficiency, but in reality it's more like 92%.

I've had several Gold and Platinum units of various sizes go through that rig - this thing's more efficient than all of them, though the Antec HCP-1300 gives it a run for its money.

So, what you're saying is, it would kill you to pick it up? :chair:

Out of curiosity, how much does it actually weigh?

It's not light but I didn't weigh it. Probably one of the heaviest I've had.

11lbs.
One pound more than a NEX1500.

Of course, newegg weights tend to include the half mile of cabling.

OW said:
If I sell it, I'll never see another one. Can't afford to buy units like this... might as well keep the one I have
That's a familiar sounding story :D More or less why I have the PSUs I have. I regret selling a couple of 'em :(

11lbs.
One pound more than a NEX1500.

Of course, newegg weights tend to include the half mile of cabling.

That's a familiar sounding story :D More or less why I have the PSUs I have. I regret selling a couple of 'em :(

They show 12.65lb
Of course, that would probably be weight inside the retail box.

I was close! Maybe having a decently accurate manual is worth a pound and a half :D

Clearly an epic unit.

Do not think it represents a good value for the gamer/designer build
In this price point para-cord cables are a must have for that demographic

For benching I would take a hard look at this unit if my 1300 watt eVGA unit ever takes a dump

Back