• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Carbide 540 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Necrotech

Registered
So, I recently decided to scrap my old water cooled rig and switch it up to a Corsair Carbide Cube case, the 540. I liked the idea of these cases but am now left with a few questions

I want to fit a 3x120mm+2x120 rads in the system. Cooling a Single GTX 980 and i5 4690k for now, may add another 980 later. Going for moderate cooling but quiet and stylish.

Any recommendations for fans? I have 2 Corsair SP120 High Performance fans kicking around and was figuring on adding more of those to each setup. I know the gentle typhoons are amazing but they are incredibly expensive and I can't find the good ones anywhere anymore.

Also, would this be too much Rad Space? I did a water cooling rig before and it turned out moderately well but figured I'd do some more in depth research for what I need for this rig.

Pumps and Rads. Any pumps to look out for and RAdiator. Was going to go with the Alphacool NexXxoS UT60s for both my 240 and 360 since I heard they do well with low RPM fans. Any recommendations there?

Noctua industrialPPC 120mm 2000RPM PWM fans. Get a Swiftech 8-Way PWM Splitter to control them all at once.

Never too much rad space, especially with a dual core GPU.

Pump, MCP50X. The UT60 rads are very nice, but make sure you'll have clearance on the top.

True on the rad space.

Bloody noctua fans and their ugly color scheme. Also, These rads are pretty thick, the case allows me to mount them away from the mobo so clearance shouldn't be an issue but would push/pull be necessary or could just Push be enough to cool things down.

Ugly color scheme? Did you look at the industrialPPC at all?

Just push will be plenty with the fans I mentioned.

I was but got side tracked, I just assumed cause I got Noctua fans now and they are the ugly beige/red scheme. Those look sexy. Thanks, I'd have never come across these.

One other thing. I was told by someone before to avoid mixing metals when it came to the waterblocks due to corrosion. Any insight on that?

Noctua industrialPPC 120mm 2000RPM PWM fans. Get a Swiftech 8-Way PWM Splitter to control them all at once.

Never too much rad space, especially with a dual core GPU.

Pump, MCP50X. The UT60 rads are very nice, but make sure you'll have clearance on the top.

I meant to post last night. I am currently running the same case / loop combo you are planning. The UT60's that ATMINSIDE mentioned should fit but will be tight. I have the Black Ice Extreme rad's which arev54mm thick if my memory is right and it is tight up at the top where the two ends come together the Thicker UT60's should / possibly fit. I will try better to get a pic to show what I mean later tonight.

If you're running a 240 and a 360, you should be safe with 60mm rads. Two 360's and you'd run into clearance issues between the two rads.

I concur with ATM on pump recommendations.

I think you'll enjoy building in the case. I certainly did. Be sure to post pics of your build!

I've seen better luck with the ST30s in the 540 builds. They seem to fit nicely and leave some room in the case. Those are rads I recommend to everyone who does a 540 build.

You could also install the front fans in front of the case as shown below.

a9yze4yp.jpg

veva4ere.jpg

Back