• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H80i Not Cooling Well

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeadpoolMX360

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a Corsair H80i Cooler on my i5 4690K, but apparently it seems like it isn't cooling that well. When I use CPUID HWMonitor it is showing that the temperatures are 90+ Celsius 200+ Fahrenheit. This is causing me to lag in games. The temperature is the same on both idle and gaming. Please help.

Post a screenshot of cpu z and hw monitor.

You shouldn't be anywhere near 90c at idle. Did you just install this cooler? If so I would say you need to remount it.

Edit: you shouldn't really be at 90c ever so I would refrain from using the machine until you get this resolved. Something is seriously wrong if you're at 90c at idle. Did you use TIM? Did your remove the plastic off the bottom of the block before installing?

Last edited:
Hi Tachi1247,

I didn't just install it. I had it for awhile and been trying to figure out what is causing the high temperatures.

CPUZ.JPG
CPU.JPG

Check the fan on the radiator. Is it spinning?

Can you hear the pump working?

If it was working fine before and this is a new development then something must have changed. Did your recently move the computer or bump it really hard or something that could have affected the cpu mount?

I'm assuming there are no leaks.....

You're idling at 100c so something is wrong with the cooler. Either the fan broke, the pump isn't pumping, or there is a leak somewhere and water isn't flowing properly.

If this was my computer I would stop using it until I figured this out.

Did you use TIM? Did your remove the plastic off the bottom of the block before installing?

Check the fan on the radiator. Is it spinning?
Can you hear the pump working?

If it was working fine before and this is a new development then something must have changed. Did your recently move the computer or bump it really hard or something that could have affected the cpu mount?

I'm assuming there are no leaks.....

You're idling at 100c so something is wrong with the cooler. Either the fan broke, the pump isn't pumping, or there is a leak somewhere and water isn't flowing properly.

If this was my computer I would stop using it until I figured this out.

+1 This

I'm surprised it hasn't gone to thermal shut down yet. You're degrading your CPU's longevity at those temps.

The pump and fan are working.

- - - Updated - - -

Well...

If I were to overclock it then I will get a BSOD with an uncorrectable error message thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Well...

If I were to overclock it then I will get a BSOD with an uncorrectable error message thing.

No overclocking, no gaming, nothing. Shut it off! lol

Did you touch the radiator and tubing to see if they are warm?

- - - Updated - - -

Well...

You're sure they are working? When you touch the tubing going into and out of the radiator does one feel noticeably cooler than the other?

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OVERCLOCK THIS CPU AT ALL UNTIL THIS IS RESOLVED. YOU'RE GOING TO FRY THE CHIP.

You need to give us more info on the back story here. When did you put this build together? When did you notice the temps were this high? Have you made any physical changes lately? Have you made any changes in the bios lately? Where are you located and what is the ambient temperature in the room?

You don't have a computer that works fine for months and then wake up the next day and have idle temps jump up by 70c when all of the hardware is working properly and you haven't made any changes.

I would bet that the pump is either not working or became unplugged from 12V power.

@tachi1247

I had built this machine back then and the temps had always been that high, but when I put my palm near the fans it feels cool and not hot. Which doesn't make any sense as to why the temperatures are high, but I do know that if I were to play a game like Dead Space 3 it will lag. Also here is the link to my build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gPbHXL

I live in California and it's currently 53 Fahrenheit 12 Celsius. Room temperature is about 60 Fahrenheit. Only change in bios was just a bios upgrade. Tubing and Radiator are cool.

Check that you installed the backplate that is behind the motherboard properly, if you mount it wrong side down it´s cut-out wont align with some stuff that is sticking out and instead making the backplate make contact with 2 pins it shouldnt and the waterblock will be slightly skewd when you fasten the screws because of that

Ambient temperature will effect how much you can cool your pc... but I don't think that this is your issue. Something is wrong with the H80i that you're running. I would remove the H80i (not doing any good as it is) and put the stock fan heat sink on and see if the temps improve (which I believe it will).

@tachi1247

I had built this machine back then and the temps had always been that high, but when I put my palm near the fans it feels cool and not hot. Which doesn't make any sense as to why the temperatures are high, but I do know that if I were to play a game like Dead Space 3 it will lag. Also here is the link to my build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gPbHXL

I live in California and it's currently 53 Fahrenheit 12 Celsius. Room temperature is about 60 Fahrenheit. Only change in bios was just a bios upgrade. Tubing and Radiator are cool.

Ok so we're back to step 1. If the temps have always been this high something is wrong with the cooler.

Are you sure the pump is running? Tell us how you confirmed that it is.

How do you know that the block is mounted correctly?

Did you use a good thermal material when you applied the block?

Are you positive that you removed the plastic cover from they mount before installing?

If the radiator is blowing only cool air and the tubes are cool that tells us that the mount is either really bad or the pump isn't flowing water. The pump is either broken or the power connectors aren't hooked up.

Did you connect both the pump sata power cable to a psu line and the other pump cable to the motherboard cpu 4 pin slot?

Edit: from your photo it looks like at least one power cable is plugged in since the block appears to be lighting up. Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like there is nothing connected to the cpu fan headers on the mobo. The 3 pin connector should be hooked up to the cpu header on the mobo. Almost certain now that this is your problem. What is the 3 pin cable from the block hooked up to?

Edit 2: Even though the h80i only has a 3 pin connector you should still be hooking it up to the 4 pin cpu header. It will fit, you will just have one of the pins sticking out on the side.

Last edited:
Back