• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair HX620. Fan cable to mobo required?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Showbe

Registered
I have a Modular Corsair HX620 PSU and I installed it and replaced my old one on my PC. This was 2-3 weeks ago and I noticed today that one of the connectors has a pin that connects to the PWR_Fan on my mobo. I currently have a fan connected to that since I dont have any other chassis fan spots to connect them to.

Question is what is the purpose of connecting the PSU's fan cable to the mobo? The fan on the PSU runs without it connected is it required or will it make anything noticeable in performance?

I have 3 fans I added to my PC to get better cooling and dont have room for that cable and just want to know if I can leave it off. I have done that for 3 weeks already but will it mess up my psu?

If the PSU fan runs without being connected to the mobo (I'd be very surprised if it didn't!) there is no need to plug that in.
Odds are it's a tachometer lead so you can monitor the fan RPM in software.

Back