• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Corsair RAM Issues and Queries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v0lt

Registered
Hey,

I just checked my CPU-Z for the memory and was shocked to see this,
Type : DDR3-SDRAM PC3-10700 (667MHz) - [DDR3-1333]
Googled up and some say its because AMD RAMs are 'double-pumped' so 667MHz x 2 = 1333MHz
Not sure whats the real reason so thought I should ask you guyz.

corsairram_low.png

Secondly, I was planning to upgrade and add another set of Corsair but this time instead of value RAM i was thinking of XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600Mhz which has a higher voltage and speed.

Could i run it w/ my present set of RAM? Would there be an issue?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Thats the real reason...DDR = Double Data Rate.

We can confirm if you post up CPUz. CPUz will show 667Mhz for 1333.

Like ED mentioned... DRAM Frequency of 669.7 x 2 = DDR3-1339.4 (3:10 FSB : DRAM ratio; 200MHz HT Ref Clock x 10 / 3 x 2 = DDR3-1333).

Alright. Thanks for that clarification.

Both you guyz forgot to answer me about this query
Secondly, I was planning to upgrade and add another set of Corsair but this time instead of value RAM i was thinking of XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600Mhz which has a higher voltage and speed.

Could i run it w/ my present set of RAM? Would there be an issue?

So i guess its better to get rid of the slower RAMs and get the new faster ones instead of mixing them.

Don't keep getting faster ones, attempt to match everything. Not all sticks OC he same either, even with the same rated voltage, speed, and timings. Having close to identical sticks reduces the chance of bottleneck.

Don't keep getting faster ones, attempt to match everything. Not all sticks OC he same either, even with the same rated voltage, speed, and timings. Having close to identical sticks reduces the chance of bottleneck.

Is that so? I was under the belief having all of the fast and same specs would give me an advantage of OCing them to the most i can.

I think Knu misunderstood what you were saying. You are correct Volt. Get rid of old, and buy new.

Bottom line:

Do not mix ram.

Having matching KITS should help with overclocking as they should, together, overclock the same. But if you buy even the same rated speed/timings etc 6 months down the road, they could be different.

Dont make this harder than it needs to be. Sell what you have, and buy a matching set of your required speed and capacity. :)

I think Knu misunderstood what you were saying. You are correct Volt. Get rid of old, and buy new.

Rereading that I don't even know what I was saying. It was too early in the morning. :rain: Listen to EarthDog. :thup:

I think what I was trying to say is buying one 4x2GB kit is less likely to bottleneck then two of the same 2x2GB kits.

I think what I was trying to say is buying one 4x2GB kit is less likely to bottleneck then two of the same 2x2GB kits.
Hahah. Alright that makes much more sense now ;)

Bottom line:

Do not mix ram.

Having matching KITS should help with overclocking as they should, together, overclock the same. But if you buy even the same rated speed/timings etc 6 months down the road, they could be different.

Dont make this harder than it needs to be. Sell what you have, and buy a matching set of your required speed and capacity. :)

I get it now.
I know I am complicating a very simple thing, but i just read this
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6885819&postcount=2
phenoms will run 1600, but amd systems run at the optimum at 1333 w/lower timings, so timings like 9-9-9-24 will be okay but not the fastest, 1333 7-7-7-20 would be faster .

Makes me think i should instead get a slower RAM upgrade then. Arrggghhh....

Back