• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair SP120 (High Performance Edition) On a motherboard connection problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

i've bought a Corsair SP120 (High Performance Edition) Dual Pack. i've tried attaching it to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 . i've made it a push pull configuration. i've attached the first fan(push) to the main CPU fan 4 pin connection on the motherboard and the other one(pull) to the System fan 4 pin connection on the motherboard respectively. after booting i had an error that states "CPU FAN ERROR".. i've entered bios and it doesn't detect the fan on the main cpu 4 pin connection on the motherboard. i've tried swapping the other fan but i still got the error. what i did was attach a fan with a 4 pin power connection on the main cpu fan on the motherboard (the corsair fans is still attached on the hyper 212 and this fan is attached on the case) and i've attached the corsair fans on the other motherboard fan connections and it worked. does it really work that way?

this is the fan: http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-...e-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan.html

IMG_20121107_224429.jpg

IMG_20121107_224641.jpg

Does the SP120 use a 4 or 3 pin pwm plug?

Typically when you want to set up fans in push pull it's a good idea to get a 4pin to two 3 pin splitter (PWM Y cable) so that the motherboard can give both fans the same speed. If you have a 3 pin connected to a 4pin connector then that might explain the CPU fan error because the motherboard is missing the 4th pin that it would otherwise be using to control the fan speed.

As long as they are both spinning though you don't have anything to worry about. I had a motherboard a while back that would show CPU fan error because I didn't have anything plugged into the 4pin plug. Your bios might have an option to skip cpu fan error if it is annoying you.

EDIT: This is what you might look into getting.

Does the SP120 use a 4 or 3 pin pwm plug?

Typically when you want to set up fans in push pull it's a good idea to get a 4pin to two 3 pin splitter (PWM Y cable) so that the motherboard can give both fans the same speed. If you have a 3 pin connected to a 4pin connector then that might explain the CPU fan error because the motherboard is missing the 4th pin that it would otherwise be using to control the fan speed.

As long as they are both spinning though you don't have anything to worry about. I had a motherboard a while back that would show CPU fan error because I didn't have anything plugged into the 4pin plug. Your bios might have an option to skip cpu fan error if it is annoying you.

EDIT: This is what you might look into getting.

thanks for the reply. my previous fan in this set up was only a fan with 3 pin connector. as you have said that its not important as long as its spinning, well i agree with that. my bios dont have any option that ignore it too bad.

that's a good product there but i dont have a credit card LoL

Well any local computer shop should have a PWM Y cable. Just go in and ask them for one. It doesn't have to be that Gelid one.

Instead of quoting a spammer, it's always best to only use the Report Post (
report.gif
) button so we don't have to do any extra thread cleanup. They're just stupid bots :rolleyes:

Back