• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair TX-750 picking up wireless mouse signals and emitting a high pitch noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Some Corsair power supplies feature a Fan with "Zero RPM technology." The fan does not start to spin until a thermistor inside the power supply detects a certain temperature level and activates the fan.

Well it appears that the Corsair thermistor circuit is also picking up radio signals from a wireless mouse!

CorsairTX750.png

This causes a low volume but high pitch (annoying) sound that can be heard when there is no surrounding noise. When not spinning, the PSU large fan reacts to mouse movements ever so slightly, but only when the noise is audible. You hear the high tone but low volume pitch. The fan definitely reacts to mouse movements, not the physical movement of the desk.

Exactly at the time I was looking at it, the temperature reached the critical point and activated the PSU fan, it started to spin and the pitch was gone!

Interesting side note is that the when the fan is not spinning, it does not always react to the wireless mouse. When the high pitched noise is heard - that is when it also can be seen reacting as shown in the attached video.

This was tested on both Logitech G700 and G700S mice. The G700S has a 1000Hz label on its wireless transmitter.

When I connected a wired mouse, I could use it simultaneously with the wireless mouse. The high pitch - low volume noise was only heard when using the wireless mouse - not the wired mouse, clearly indicating that the wireless mouse signal was being picked up. I have gradually eliminated other components in this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734998 before reaching the conclusion that the Corsair thermistor circuit is picking up wireless mouse signals and emitting a high pitch noise that can be quite annoying late at night when there are no other sounds to drown it out.

Attachments

• CorsairTX750.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I had this model power supply [made in 2008 or earlier] for over 4 years and had no problems of this nature. This started happening with a 2012 made replacement.

Last edited:
It may well be that specific mouse dongle and that specific PSU and that specific load level.

1000Hz is likely the polling rate, the data bandwidth of 1000Hz is awfully low.
Odds are it's a 2.4GHz thing.

I was just talking about this label:

Attachments

• LogitechGS700s.jpg
    LogitechGS700s.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 79
Almost certainly the polling rate, a vaguely decent antenna for 1kHz would be ~234,000' long :D

Back