• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intermitent noise when moving wireless mouse cursor across the screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Wireless Logitech G700.

Confirmed this was a hardware issue by simultaneously plugging a wired mouse which made no noise when it was used, while at the same time not-so-loud high pitch was noticeable when using the wireless mouse. It appears some kind of interference is the culprit.

Was not successful in finding out where the pitch is coming from. It doesn't appear to be speakers. The sound is not constant. When it happens, it only happens when moving cursor across screen.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX Black 2GB HDMI 2XDVI GDDR5 1050MHz Core Clock
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
Negative. Old school first gen LGA1366 mobo. This is definitely related to wireless mouse hardware.

Yes. And I just received a reply, which I will test over the course of this week:

Please follow these steps for your mouse receiver/wired mode:

1. Plug in and test the device on another USB ports on the computer. If it is connected through a hub, try connecting directly to the system ports to verify the hub has not failed.

2. If you have multiple devices plugged into the computer, isolate the issue by temporarily removing other USB devices on the computer and test the device.

3. If the device doesn't work on a second port, if it is possible, please try the device on other computer. This is to check if the issue lies on the USB ports of your computer.

If you are still experiencing the issue, please follow these steps for your mouse:

1. Disconnect the device. Unplug the receiver.
2. Turn off your device, then remove the batteries.
3. Press and hold its buttons alternately for about 1-2 minutes. This is to reset the capacitor of the device and to drain all the power.
4. Install new batteries.
5. Reconnect the device, then check if the issue has been resolved.

EDIT: NOT Resolved. I tried another G700S mouse this time, the same problem.

It appears to be some sort of electro-magnetic interference, extremely hard to pinpoint. You hear the noise but you do cannot pinpoint where it is coming from.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX Black 2GB HDMI 2XDVI GDDR5 1050MHz Core Clock
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
Sounds strange but it really comes down to how do you pinpoint the source of a not so loud but audible sound. Can you use a microphone somehow, to measure it?

perhaps its coming from you speakers or headphones? i had similar issues with my onboard audio in my old case due to poor grounding of the case.

It is not coming from external speakers. The numerous threads on this out there are filled with people posting on different similar issues which have noting to do with each other, the most common cause of course is a sound clearly audible when you put your ears against a speaker or a headphone, that's the FIRST place anyone would put their ear against and only then be baffled as to what the source would be, if not the external speakers. It is not coming from external speakers. This is some kind of a weird interference, yesterday I spoke with a knowledgeable Corsair Tech and he told me he himself has the issue, he cannot pinpoint where it is coming from, he replaced his PSU, no change.

One thing I know is that a wireless mouse causes this to be heard, it cannot be replicated with a wired mouse.

Last edited:
actually i had a monitor do the same stuff makes a high pitch noise when the mouse is moving. could be that.

Yes. It sure sounds like that but when I pulled the plug on the monitor, it still could be heard. Perhaps I need to unplug *and* completely disconnect and move the monitor far away from the case?

The monitor does have a small unconnected speaker. I will wait for this to be clearly heard late at night and experiment with that.

EDIT: Completely removing the monitor 30 feet away did not eliminate the problem.

Last edited:
What we know is that is that the noise is not coming from speakers. It disappears if USB wireless emitter is disconnected. It cannot be heard if another corded mouse is plugged in simultaneously and used, only when wireless mouse is used. The pitch is louder on white browser background.

So the mouse wireless signal is the cause of making *something* pitch, but what!?!

Last edited:
My Logitech drivers caused my sound to come from my router. Weird but it happened, all I heard were the windows sounds and not the regular sound. I had to allow MS to install it's own drivers to fix the issue as well as uninstall the Logitech ones. Even weirder, I don't think that the router had a speaker.

the mouse does use a 2.4ghz signal correct? there is your interference.

Logitech G700, nowhere in the documentation does it say what the frequency is and once again, where is the pitch coming from if it is NOT the monitor or any of the external speakers?

oh, i didnt see the not, i thought it said we know its coming from the speakers in the monitor rofl.
maybe its the transmitter itself?

Good guess, but no.

It might be coming from the case but somehow when you get close to the case the noise is drowned out by the fans whereas it comes through when you sit normally in your chair with case being down to the right. I don't know. I tried recording it but did not really catch it that way. Something has to EMIT it, regardless of what is causing it. Could it be the internal motherboard speaker?

Could it be the internal motherboard speaker?
that was actualy going to be my next guess
i end up puting a drop of hotglue on all my mobo speaker holes to quiet them... speaking of which i need to do that on my server that thing is ear piercing.... back on track...

oo you could try to put the transmitter on a usb extension and move it away from the case and what ever sensitive component is inside see how that works?

Back