• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intermitent noise when moving wireless mouse cursor across the screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, I will be testing that.

Just as much as I want to resolve the problem, I am also *very* interested in the actual physical source of the pitch sound. Every thread out there is filled with people talking about unrelated problems such as sound coming from actual speakers, be it external or monitor, which this problem is definitely not.

Despite wireless mouse receiver being connected through a 6 foot USB extension cord, [it ended up being over 10 feet away from the computer,] the problem was still there.

I also just got a new monitor, problem is still there.

Rebooting addresses the issue immediately for a while but it returns with a vengeance. It would be great to know how to locate the physical source of the sound...

wow dude that is nuts. is a wired mouse an option?

After investing in a wireless G700, I suppose I'll have to consider that, but that would be admitting defeat.

It has to be coming from somewhere, I am thinking about setting up microphones and trying to figure it out that way somehow, I need some ideas I guess.

Dumb question - is "everything" using USB? Is it possible that the "rebooting" resets the USB hub? Later the USB hub, gets two conflicting signals?:shrug:

So the test to address that concern would be to physically remove every USB cable except the mouse receiver? I can do that.

With zero other USB cables connected to the system - the problem returns.

The pitch, audible only when moving the cursor is not coming from the receiver itself or the mouse itself. Could it be that the pitch is so specific that it is coming from the motherboard area. Could it be that it is audible when you are sitting normally but cannot be heard clearly when you press your ear in the vicinity of the case because there, it is drowned out by case fans whereas the pitch can be heard a bit further away because the fan noise does not travel that far to drown it out, I don't know, I am grasping at straws but hoping to eventually get to the bottom of this. I saw one report of the motherboard causing this. Perhaps I should go after the motherboard speaker, the tiny one I have connected to make a beep at boot?

EDIT: It is out, what else could be emitting a sound pitch, if not this, going to wait & see to find out.

Attachments

• OnboardBeepSpeaker.jpg
    OnboardBeepSpeaker.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I opened up the case and gave it another shot. Something in there is the culprit.

I do have a Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W. I did hear about Corsair PSUs have some sort of a pitch noise issue.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=92896
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=91207
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX Black 2GB HDMI 2XDVI GDDR5 1050MHz Core Clock
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
I opened up the case and gave it another shot. Something in there is the culprit.

I do have a Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W. I did hear about Corsair PSUs have some sort of a pitch noise issue.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=92896
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=91207
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85166

OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Power supply whine? Goes away after a reboot - returns later? Nail polish on the coil? Voids warranty.

Trying to figure out if it is the power supply or what. All USB connections are "normal". You move the wireless mouse after say 3 hours and the "whine" is from the power supply?

If so time for RMA(?) OR if the warranty is gone open it up and take a look?

First of all where we are now is zeroing in on what inside the case could be emitting this pitch. It is not a speaker of any kind in there. Some of the links I posted talk about something similar being caused by a PSU, but before I even read them I did talk with a Corsair tech who seemed to be knowledgeable and who said to me that he had exact same problem which did not go away after he put in a brand new PSU.

My first step after getting there last night was to contact Logitech and ask them to research any reports of a PSU, specifically a Corsair PSU, causing any sort of a noise pitch problem.

First of all where we are now is zeroing in on what inside the case could be emitting this pitch. It is not a speaker of any kind in there. Some of the links I posted talk about something similar being caused by a PSU, but before I even read them I did talk with a Corsair tech who seemed to be knowledgeable and who said to me that he had exact same problem which did not go away after he put in a brand new PSU.

My first step after getting there last night was to contact Logitech and ask them to research any reports of a PSU, specifically a Corsair PSU, causing any sort of a noise pitch problem.

Thank you for the update.

Trying to get head around this one. The speaker is out, a wired mouse and no noise.

Would it be possible to create a restore point, uninstall the Logitech drivers and allow MS to install it's own drivers via Windows update? That could at least eliminate software as an issue.

I found recordings of the Corsair noise problem - they are not the same. Theirs is a buzz. Mine is more of a pitch. I may need to shut down case fans and get a microphone in there late at night when the surrounding noise dies down.

shadowdr, I can play with that definitely, I would like to isolate the source first.

There is a piece of hardware, apparently inside the case, capable of emitting a low volume but high tone pitch and it is triggered by wireless mouse movement signals. What hardware can do that? Is there anything on the motherboard itself capable of doing that? We know it is not the tiny beep speaker.

OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

I guess it could be a capacitor or a fan, like I said on the first page it happened on my router or cable modem that has no speaker but was next to the mouse pickup. I was puzzled that that could happen at all but uninstalling the software fixed it. Mine was not a squeal but actual windows sounds even though I had a headset plugged in.
If you already played with the spread spectrum and load line setting in the bios you could use a mic to hone in on the sound.

I'm starting to wonder if it is something ON the motherboard itself?

Know facts:
1) Speaker is out.
2)Not the power supply
3)Wireless Mouse only causes the "noise".
4)USB hub in the case is on the motherboard - not sure on that one.

Please let me know if a fellow forum member can help! (You did PM Bobnova and Oklahoma Wolf?)

Back