• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 quick failure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

...reasonably quick. I had a 6gb triple channel DDR3-1333 C9 ram less than 4 years and they started giving me error grief. I ended up eliminating 2 of 3 sticks and paired last remaining stick with different 1067 3gb(elpida) set. I ran them all on 1067 mhz speed because that last corsair stick wouldn't run stable on 1333 anymore, only 1067.

Now I know it's not recommended to mix different sticks together, but I did 24hr prime and memtest off boot cd and both checked out, until recently when I decided to fiddle around again with things in bios and increasing uncore caused black screen halt on boot until reset CMOS by removing battery. I narrowed it down to that last surviving corsair stick that finally died.

Is it just my bad luck or don't they last long enough? They wouldn't give me any tighter timings and I rarely went over rated speed, only to test sonetimes...my i7 can't run with fast ram anyways, so I usually ran it close to spec, voltage too.

Elpida OTOH is great! Overclocks to 1333 even 1400 no problem and timings are great(for its old age). 1067 sticks.

your memory comes with a lifetime warranty, which means if the memory is still available in stores you may RMA it for a replacement.
usually memory is the last thing to break down in a computer from my experience and this has never happened to me in the 25 years of gaming (when memory doesn't work anymore its usually ANYTHING else then the memory itself, hence the reason for lifetime warranty)

Well if they ask was it overclocked and I say yes, they will void. And I can't lie to them..I'm sure they consider anything overclocked even by 1mhz is running outside specs. All I it doesn't matter really as I don't have all sticks anymore. Didny know they have lifetime though. Thank you

High voltage will degrade RAM over time. But, sounds like you didn't use that much in the long term. I haven't been a fan of Corsair RAM for a long time. If this is typical, I shall not be trying them anytime soon.

I've run nothing but G.Skill starting with DDR2 (currently have G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600). If you find the RAM with tight timings, that's probably has the much sought after Samsung IC chips that overclock so well. Woomack discusses this topic in another recent thread.

EDIT: I forgot you were DDR3, I had good luck with G.Skill RipJaws when I ran DDR3, in fact, I still have a pair of them in my junk box.

Last edited:
I did notice those xms3 sticks run quite warm on stock despite having heatsinks. Maybe I just won the lottery this time..

They will not ask if you overclocked them . They will ask for a S/N then send you a RMA # .

Aah, I should've kept them then :( we were moving and space was a little tight, so I was trying to get rid of any clutter, therefore down the bin they went..

Thank you for info for future.

Back