• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could this be a MB problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M33Cat

I have a gigabyte z68xp-ud4 that's a little over 1 year old. After I installed win7 64-bit about 60 days ago, a few times when I restart from windows, either by using the start menu or when a program requires it and letting it do it, I get this problem...

Windows seems to exit fine, and the screen goes black, but then just hangs there and doesn't restart, the fans are all still running, can't tell what the SSD is doing tho. When windows does it's updates, etc, the screen stays blue and lets you know it's doing something. I never let it hang too long, I rebooted with the button, and windows loads fine without anything about not closing right, etc. I don't think this has happened when I click 'shutdown', but I'm not sure, it's only happened 3-6 times I guess since the last format/install.

So my guess is it's somehow mobo related, I've installed this same copy of win7 a few times on 4 different rigs, never had this problem before:confused:

It could have something to do with your power settings in the bios. Save your settings and then load the defaults and see if it still does it.

We could use a little more info on the system. Is it overclocked etc??

Z

This used to happened with two of my 2600k systems highly OC'ed (5GHz) and Asus P67 pro and Asrock z68 Fatality Pro.
It never happened below 4.8GHz, and I never found what was causing it...
It never happened either with my other 2600k@5GHz on an Asrock z77 Fatalty Pro-m.

Like I said it may have to do with certain power settings like C1E, C3, C6, EPU settings, S1/S3 settings etc. I would recommend that you save your current settings if your mobo allows you to do that and then load the default settings and try it again.

Back