• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

could this damage my motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DustyWolfe

Registered
basically i have this card i want to try out some volt mods and what not to overclock it (its an x1300 pro so im not trying to get "performance", just kinda experimenting i suppose). is there any chance of when this thing dies its gonna take other things with it?

edit:
crosshair v
955be
8 gigs kingston hyperx 1600 ddr3

A chance, not a very big chance though.
I had one explode and spew sparks across my R3E. R3E didn't care, scared me though.

I agree with Bobnova that the chance of motherboard being hurt is minimal. The only way I can think of it really hurting the board is for the video card to short somehow and then pull too much current thru video card slot. But shorts on the video card should be short-lived.

I agree with Bobnova that the chance of motherboard being hurt is minimal. The only way I can think of it really hurting the board is for the video card to short somehow and then pull too much current thru video card slot. But shorts on the video card should be short-lived.

That's what I thought, a short not only drawing too much current but also somehow bleeding back into the motherboard if something shorts to a ground. But like you said, chances are the card itself would fry before anything damages the motherboard, and it's extremely unlikely. The card itself would probably become unstable and doing funky things.

Back