• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could use some help with upgrades ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enemyofusall

I am pretty new to pc gaming (very new to this site) and don't know all that much so any help is definitely appreciated! I basically want to be able to run Skyrim (as well as other rpgs mainly) on Med. settings. Right now the majority of (recent) games I play have to be the lowest settings :( so yeah here are my specs:

Processor= Intel Core 2 quad cpu @ 2.66GHz (intel core 2 extreme qx6700)
Video Card= Nvidia GeForce 8800Gts (640Mbs)
PSU= HX62O Watt (Corsair)
MObo: Intel D975XBX2kr
RAM: 4gb Kingston ddr2
Case: Thermaltake Shark
Resolution/screen: no idea haha All I know is that it is from Dell (like ones you get from buying a pc)

Would updating my video card be enough or should I upgrade else where as well?
PRICE: kinda open here as I don't have to buy this right now, willing to wait until the holidays. Thanks!

The holidays as in...........?

Your GPU would be the culprit, BUT, we need to know your resolution. If you are playing at 1280x1024, then you need to either overclock you CPU (which you may not be able to do with that board), or get another one. And being such an older chipset, Im not sure what that supports.

thanks for the quick response and the holidays as in the latter half of the year. My resolution is 1024 X 768

Well, I would pose this question then. This market is so dynamic that to say whats available or the best deal around nov/dec time frame isnt prudent now.

And with that low of a resolution, you need to overclock your CPU really.

Alright thanks! One last question, after I OC it, I have read people achieving stable OCs around 3.0 (some 3.2 or so) would that be a viable solution to effectively play current games at higher settings? Or is that tough to tell?

Back