• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Air Cooler - Tuniq Tower?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZapTap

I currently have a Biostar A780L3L motherboard running an Athlon II X2, but I'm planning on upgrading to a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 with a 1090T fairly soon. That being said, I want to get an aftermarket cooler, but I want to make sure it will work with both of these motherboards. And I have fallen in love with the Tuniq Tower :3 so can anyone say (preferably from experience) that it is compatible with these sockets? or these specific motherboards even, perhaps clearance issues or something of the sort. I haven't found anything to say 100% that it will work with an AM3+ socket, although I believe it should. I'll quit rambling now :3 does anyone know?

It is a dated design and wasn't the greatest when it was out. You would be best off getting a Megahalems or a Noctua NH-D14.

hmmmm. I'm starting to question that tuniq tower now after seeing a couple reviews. I'd rather have a fan that uses the motherboard cpu fan socket like it should and the tuniq doesn't. And the 212+ looks like a good cooler, but it's not the best to look at. does anyone have any other suggestions? I have an Antec 1200 to fit this thing in, but I wouldn't mind sanding a corner off my side fan

I don't know where you are therefore how much you can get one for, but a couple months back i was able to pick up the Corsair Air Series™ A70 Dual-Fan CPU Cooler for $25.00............

a70_hero__72 (Small).png

Worth a look if you can find it on sale. As a bonus it comes with two speed adjustable fans.........Everyone's favorite Offshore Moderator, "muddocktor" did a review of it here for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-a70-heatsink-review/

Product page here:

http://www.corsair.com/air-series-a70.html

That one's about $46 on newegg :x I'm kinda torn. I want it to look good and be the best and be under $30-40 >< so of course, i'm expecting way too much and i'll never find anything just right.. even that tuniq tower that i liked the looks of is starting to look a little bleh right now.. Is the zerotherm nirvana any good?

i'm sorry i'm so indecisive ;-;

The only real problems I see with that zerotherm nirvana are that the price is on the higher end for me and it has blue LED(s) that i'd have to swap out :x

Never heard of the zerotherm nirvana before :shrug: so i can't help ya there........

Since your dealing with Newegg, what about the XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V REV.W ???

$32.95 after mail-in rebate with free shipping......

35-233-029-04.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Not sure what else to suggest....

My current personal fav is Thermalright Venomous X, but at $75.00 down there i can't recommend that. :(

Never heard of the zerotherm nirvana before :shrug: so i can't help ya there........

Since your dealing with Newegg, what about the XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V REV.W ???

$32.95 after mail-in rebate with free shipping......

View attachment 97582

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

Not sure what else to suggest....

My current personal fav is Thermalright Venomous X, but at $75.00 down there i can't recommend that. :(

ick yeah 75 is too much for me. I really like the looks of that xiggy though, and i've never heard any quality complaints from them. The black is really nice, too.. I believe i'll look into that one more:) thank you very much

EDIT: black, black-esque, silver.. same thing :p I can't tell for sure but it looks nice. and if the color's bad.. i've heard that plastic paint drops temps anyway :p

Given the angle you'll be looking at it from, something like a Tuniq or another 'discrete from on top' design like a BeQuiet! Dark Rock would be ideal. Look at the sinks from the top, like you would be if you looked in through your case window.

i have one of these , it might be more than you want to spend, but one thing you really dont want to skimp on is cpu cooling

It may be the best, but it's way over my budget, I'm not completely sure it would fit, and it's as far from looking good in my case as any cooler could be. not just because of its design, but the colors, too :x and while good temps may be important, I won't be doing any hardcore benching or overclocking on this rig, so I'd mark the other criteria as a bit more important

also, I've definitely decided against the tuniq tower. I'd like something with a black finish if I can find anything

ZapTap, if you are looking for top flight cooling on a budget, Koolertek has the TRUE AM-RT heatsink for $39.95. From the pics, it looks like it's the original revision TRUE and not a Rev. C, but it's still one of the highest performing heatsinks around and since that's a complete kit, you don't have to buy fans or anything else with it.

And Koolertek is a store that has been around for quite a while too. They have good ratings at Resellerratings too.

I like that one :3 so let's say I take off the plastic parts that hold the fan in place. and mask off the part that makes contact with the cpu. and but black plastic paint on the cooler. I've heard it drops temps.. but would it entail any risks? The last thing I wanna do is destroy a new cooler doing something like that >< so I may just have to suck it up and let it be silver-esque

EDIT: it appears that the fan holder is removable, which would make the task a bit simpler

Painting it will only insulate it and make it perform much worse. If you want a black heatsink, they are also selling a TRUE Black for $44.95, but it doesn't come with a fan. That is also an excellent price for a TRUE Black but will cost you more since it deoesn't come with a fan.

It's a bit over my budget but it's really growing on me. And I think I'd probably go for the black one. where could I get a good 4-pin pwm fan to fit it that runs quiet on idle and pushes some air when needed? I'd say the quiet is a bit more important, since I have 8 case fans :3

You could also just buy a couple of the low speed Yate Loon fans they have on the Koolertek site to run on the TRUE Black. Unless you are planning to try for crazy overclocks, they should do the job just fine and they are only $3.95 each.

ah yes Yate Loons, I should have known. well since i'm going over budget, I'll have to earn the money first, but thanks for all your help guys

Back