• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU choices...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drs499m

Registered
I have about $200 for a new CPU, and I cant decide which to choose. I'm planning to put it into my Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, and I also have watercooling so that rules out the CPU heat issue. I'm hoping to overclock as far as I can without modding the board, because I simply cant replace it. Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to stick with the Northwood. Prescott overclocking is considerably more risky to i875 motherboards due to their large power draw, and as you mentioned you're not up for volt modding.

Selection of cpu may be balanced with what type of RAM you have. If you just have vanilla PC3200 RAM, you may choose something with a higher multiplier, such as a 3.2c, altho it may difficult to find one for $200. The lower the multiplier, generally the higher the headroom, but the need for faster RAM. For example, my 2.4c does a FSB300, unfortunately they don't make DDR600 yet.

Traditionally, the 2.4c processor have been good overclockers. The 2.6c not so good. If you can get someone to hand pick you (and smaller companies like iguanamicro or azzo), try to find a 2.8 SL6Z5. Also, try to request a "30 cap" 2.8, 3.0, or 3.2c. The steppings aren't consistent with getting a "30 cap" as far as I know--it requires that your hand picker actually look at the processor and find 30 caps instead of the usual 12.

Hope it helps,
navig

Back