• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU cooler advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mashugac

Hey there, guys!
Well I just got my rig down a few days ago and thought I could get some tips from you folks.
I have installed the cpu cooler be quiet! shadow rock, but experienced the big problem that it won't fit with my high profile Corsair Vengeance on the proper side.
Hence, I had to flip the whole thing around, wich also means I had to flip the rear fan so it takes air in.

20130415_204655.jpg

Now I am not sure, if it is stable this way, I also have massive area with heated air under the cpu cooler, over the graphics card.

So , now's the question, does that make any sense? How can I optimize it? Any tips for me? :shrug:

With the best regards.

Last edited:
would you be able to turn the fan on the heatsink around so it is 'pulling' air through the heatsink towards the back of the case? You don't want that top back fan to be blowing air in - it needs to be blowing the rising hot air out of the case...

would you be able to turn the fan on the heatsink around so it is 'pulling' air through the heatsink towards the back of the case? You don't want that top back fan to be blowing air in - it needs to be blowing the rising hot air out of the case...

It isn't possible as it isn't intended from the manufacturer, but I could try to improvise a bit on that.

Which cooler specifically? The dark rock pro 2?

I'll advise you with some advice...why flip the rear exhaust to intake that completely ruins the airFLOW in your case.

top/rear = exhaust
front/sides = intake

I say orient the fan on the CPU to PULL through the heatsink and leave your rear fan as exhaust.

It isn't possible as it isn't intended from the manufacturer, but I could try to improvise a bit on that.

If the fan won't work because its in some kind of custom housing, you could just buy a generic 120mm PWM fan and surely that could be mounted either way.

I'll advise you with some advice...why flip the rear exhaust to intake that completely ruins the airFLOW in your case.

top/rear = exhaust
front/sides = intake

I say orient the fan on the CPU to PULL through the heatsink and leave your rear fan as exhaust.

This is exactly what I was suggesting...

Thanks for your thoughts, guys!

Dark Rock Pro SR1

Ok, I took your suggestions and now the cpu cooler fan is pulling from the heatsink towards the rear fan wich is exhausting it out. Took a while and a few facepalms though when I realised the fan on the cooler is easy to flip, because the mounting rubbers are detachable. :facepalm:

Now I get decent temps, too. under full load in Bioshock Infinite it's 42°C, Rift 47°C.
Though, when I go back to idle it doesnt go back to 29°C anymore, but rather stays in 35°C. What do you mean, would a side fan solve this?
Not that I'd really need that now, but summer can get warm in my room...

I personally wouldn't worry about idle temps in the mid-30s as its load temps that really matter... did your load temps go down from where they were previously?

I personally wouldn't worry about idle temps in the mid-30s as its load temps that really matter... did your load temps go down from where they were previously?

Oh yeah around 2, 3 degrees C. It also seems more stable this way.

Back