• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU cooler for FX-8230

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ramzess5

Registered
Advise please CPU cooler for FX-8230 (overclocked to 4GHz).
Motherboard - Asrock 970 Extreme4.
Asrock advises CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design
Case - Zalman Z9 +

Thanks!

Well, a top down blowing design cooler would definitely work. It's low enough profile for your case. But there are better coolers.
1) My #1 recommendation for air coolers would be the CM Hyper 212+. It's a beast of a cooler both size and efficiency, still one of the best air coolers for the money. Checking your case specs though, you will fit it with about a quarter of an inch or less between the top of the cooler and the side panel, so that will be a tight fit. MY next air cooler recommendation, which is smaller, is the ZALMAN CNPS9500A. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118223
I'd say the 5 egg reviews speak for themselves.
2) Another much less space consuming alternative are AIO (all in one). They're pre-manufactured closed loop CPU coolers that function just as well, if not better, than air coolers but a tad more expensive usually on average. The most popular brand for them is undoubtedly the Corsair Hxx series, though a variety of others, such as Cooler Master Seidon, Zalman, Antec, Thermaltake, etc. have gained in popularity as well.

Case - Zalman Z9 +

Thanks!

They probably advise the top down to get more airflow over that weak VRM section.
Are you saying you already have the CPU OCd to 4GHz? Or you would like to?? I woyuld advise a more substantial MOBO if you haven't ordered it yet.

They probably advise the top down to get more airflow over that weak VRM section.
Are you saying you already have the CPU OCd to 4GHz? Or you would like to?? I woyuld advise a more substantial MOBO if you haven't ordered it yet.
Definitely true, I haven't considered that. I really dislike top-down coolers though, they not as efficient as tower designs for the CPU in general. I don't know of any popular top-down coolers though, might want to check out newegg for low profile coolers from reputable companies like Zalman. In addition, I'd recommend buying some of those small aluminum/copper heatsinks for those uncovered VRMs if you're going for heavier overclocks.

He'll be lucky to run stock without heat issues. And should just leave it that way.

I have now ASRock 970 EXTREME 4 + Athlon x4 645 (3.1GHz) + SCYTHE Shuriken Rev.B PWM (SCSK-1100). and I want to change CPU on FX-8230 + CPU cooler. Planned maximum overclocking - 4GHZ. Not to overpay for the FX-8530.
Case 4 is blown well coolers.

Well for top-down coolers:
Noctua NH-C12P: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608019

But for that price, and considering you're going octo-core, you may be better off with an All-in-One Water Cooler:
Corsai H60: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030
Cooler Master Seidon: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103179
Zalman LQ-310: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118134

One of those 120mm AIO Water systems with push-pull fans would probably be better than, and the same price as, that particular air cooler (which would be effective, but apparently these 8-cores get REALLY hot).

1) My #1 recommendation for air coolers would be the CM Hyper 212+. It's a beast of a cooler both size and efficiency, still one of the best air coolers for the money. Checking your case specs though, you will fit it with about a quarter of an inch or less between the top of the cooler and the side panel, so that will be a tight fit.

size well.
still recommend ZALMAN CNPS10X Optima

At least do yourself a favour and go for the 63xx series, you're not listening to what I'm saying. Your current motherboard isn't really up to the job of running any FX processor let alone the Octocore.

This is the power section on your board

as4.JPG

This is what the power section should look like to run an 8 core Overclocked

Sabertooth power.JPG
There is a huge difference. Even if the manufacturer says it will run it might but they don't include overclocking 8 cores at full power all the time.

At least do yourself a favour and go for the 63xx series, you're not listening to what I'm saying. Your current motherboard isn't really up to the job of running any FX processor let alone the Octocore.

I understand 6350 as 100% compatible?

You'll stand a much better chance of controlling the heat with that than the 8 core. Still you should get a good cooler for the cpu. If a CM Hyper212 will fit in that case I would choose that over a laydown cooler any day. Also plan on putting a small fan on the Power section I pointed out to help keep it cool. If you're not using heavily multi-threaded software the 8 core is really no advantage.

Case - Zalman Z9 +

Thanks!

I have a Antec 920 liquid cooling... OC my 8350 to 4300mhz... idle: 45c to 55C

Fulload: 60c to 70c max..

Attachments

• Temp 201.PNG
    Temp 201.PNG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,431
Case - Zalman Z9 +

Thanks!

I think your best bet is to get a ANTEC 920 Liquid cooling.. beats FAN type of cooling any day.. For about the same price you are getting a better cooling system.. i have a FX 8350 on a 970 extreme 3 mobo and i get about 35 to 45c idle.. and fullload about 66c max.. and my CPU is overclocked to 4300mhz..

Attachments

• Temp 201.PNG
    Temp 201.PNG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,383
If you want to cool mosfets, you are going to have to go for This BADBOY

I have one and I have to turn it down when I am idling because it is such a beast of a cooler. I would recommend one of these with the fans on a controller. That way, you could easily turn it from silent to "beast mode" on demand. Those fans are extremely powerful.

Back