• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU? CPU Cooler? Motherboard? Power Supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not quite sure if I get your question right, so just my .02. Power Supply should always have a high priority when it comes to building computers. It's always a good idea to invest in a reliable, quality power supply. As for overclocking, the emphasis is not on a single component but rather on a good combination. First of all you need a CPU that can be overclocked, like Intels K series. Then a good cooling solution as well as a good motherboard (which supports overclocking too) are necessary. It depends on how crazy you want to overclock, certain motherboards could be an overkill if you just want to go with a decent overclock. Same goes for cooling, you won't necessaryly need a water cooling solution, after market air coolers for like 30 bucks are good as well. +
I hope that helped in some way.

Ill break this down a bit further.

CPU -> this is the 'least important' aspect really. You can overclock most AMD chips and a lot of intels. So you just need to have one that can overclock to begin with.

CPU Cooler -> this is usually what should be your limiting factor for a high overclock. All cpu's have a temperature limit, so you need to find a cooler to pair with it to do the job you need it to perform. This includes having proper case airflow as well btw.

Motherboard -> This is the backbone of your system. The spine that supports it all. If you have a "bad back" youre not going to get much out of your system. A beefy, buffed up power lifting champion is gonna be able to lift more than a skinny anemic. The same applies to your motherboard. If you have a low phase count, bad vrm section, crappy cooling, and lack of features (LLC for example), you wont be able to get the same out of your overclocks. The motherboard controls the overclock, if you cheap out here, you can have problems.

Power Supply -> ALWAYS a priority to have a quality unit. Clean, effective power is vital for any electronic device, not just computers. If you are running a poor psu and it fails, it can literally destroy your motherboard, cpu, ram, and gpu. Seems like it should be the highest of priorities to get at least a GOOD unit.

When you build a PC that can overclocking, do you need to emphasis what items?

CPU?
CPU cooler?
Motherboard?
Power supply?

None I think it's important, but what about if dare to the ranking?

Thanks.

So you can not ordering.

Yourself because there is no room enough to sorting the CPU, and you decide to strongly underbody.

The emphasis is on cpu only as no other component viz; cooler, mobo and psu can be overclocked. These components only supports overclocking. But only the cpu , gpu and ram can be overclocked. Ram gives most issues if overclocked beyond specified clocks. So more emphasis while talking about overclocking is basically on cpu and gpu only.

Back