• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU freeze

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XT_hydra

ive got an AMD fx 4170 zambezi(bulldozer)
Motherboard MSI GD45
PSU 1000 W, 85+ eff.
uh.. ive been trying to overclock it myself..well after few error ive been able to stabilise it but i cant go beyond 4.8 GHZ

but i kinda forgot what i did change on bios to stabilise the CPU freeze
because i changed my PSU and i was excited n stuff then i dunno what happened but the BIOS wasnt booting and i had to reset the BIOS configuration

so first of all what do that mean if while bios booting.. the screen is left black?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for now im at 4.8 GHZ but i forgot to change something and the CPU freeze
after being like 15 minutes on the OS

while if for example i go at 5.0 GHZ .. im on the BIOS for example and then.. it just freeze or i try to boot.. and i cant even see my desktop

*edit* i was running NetBeans then the CPU core 1 cache got an exception
i thought that could be voltage of course so ive set the voltage higher

CPU: 1.6 V // 4.8 // 57 C on intensive cache usage
CPUNB: 1.35 // 2.4
NB: 1.35
SB: 1.35

:confused:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. There are things that need to be stated from the beginning in order to get help in a forum setting. Complete and full description of the parts and pieces your system is comprised of.

Motherboard MSI GD45 = That is n0t the full name of an MSI AMD motherboard.

No ram brand/type/or speed is listed.

If you had reached 4.8Ghz for 2 hours running Prime 95 in blend mode and had not gone beyond approximately 59c on the CPU CORES, you would have overclocked 'more' than 70% of the people in the forum have done using air cooling which we must assume since you do not say.

Not much we can guess at what you did not do in bios since we don't know the motherboard model or the ram or cooling type.

Motherboard : MSI // 970A-G45 // BIOS VERSION is not specified altough concerning the BIOS BEEP CODE : AMI(not AWARD or PHOENIX)
Memory RAM: Mushkin// 2133 DDR3 240 PIN
CPU : AMD zambezi(bulldozer)// FX-4170 // 4 core, 4.2 GHZ
GPU : MSI // Geforce 8400 GS
Cooling Sys : Retail Heatsink // Fans cooling
PSU > XION //1000 W // 85+ eff.
HDD : Seagate // 160GB // set to IDE
SOUND DEVICE > Onboard
USB > Keyboard , mouse
O/S > Linux

CPU: 1.6 V // 4.8 GHZ
RAM : 1866 MGHZ set by the BIOS so volt is unknown to me
CPUNB: 1.35 // 2.4 GHZ
NB: 1.35
SB: 1.35

OK so like the main point of the thread was solved by me when i overclocked some of my voltage the CPU doesnt freeze anymore after BIOS startup but

now i likely just want to KNOW if WHEN the computer is still trying to start the BIOS and screen is left black.. what doe that mean?

Last edited:
You're using a stock cooler?

4.8ghz+ is a long shot for any bulldozer CPU.. Let alone one without an aftermarket cooler. The FX 4170 by default isn't too far off its general/average max OC within reason whilst keeping temps reasonable anyway..

If you can hit 4.8ghz, I'd be super happy with that anyway. But I would highly doubt your temps would be in check..

so that litterally mean that my mobo cant support higher GHZ... :facepalm: ..but maybe a turbo core boost? a must see of course
@Mjolnir : ya its fast but i would expect more from my CPU of course.. for example i did a phoronix benchmark with ancient clock options and i hitted 21000 calls with apache in 1 minute, while that time with 1.6 V it was like 17000.. it suck seriously.

Last edited:
so that litterally mean that my mobo cant support higher GHZ... :facepalm: ..but maybe a turbo core boost? a must see of course

It's not only about your motherboard. It's a chip limitation. Most bulldozers won't clock that high without high end cooling. Let alone stock coolers. And every CPU is different anyway.

So it could be a combination of a chip limitation, a motherboard limitation and a cooling limitation.

However it sort of sounds like you've just tried to change a few numbers and hope it works rather than doing it step by step.

So your first step is adequate cooling. So an aftermarket cpu cooler. It's essential for these chips..

Have you done any core temp monitoring? With 1.6 volts to the cores and using only the stock hea tsink I'd imagine that baby is really cooking. Safe and responsible overclocking involves making gradual changes to the voltages and frequencies while monitoring core temps along the way.

I would suggest downloading and installing these three free programs: CPU-z (reports lots of info about the hardware and system settings), HWMonitor (reports lots of info about system temps and voltages) and Prime95 (puts the CPU and the system under heavy load to check for stability and temps under load). These are standard tools in the overclocking community.

Run HWMonitor and leave it open on the desktop while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. In HWMonitor, observe the section where the "core" temps are located. If the core temps exceed about 65c, stop the test to prevent damage to your system. However, I'm guessing you will experience a blue screen or spontaneous restart before that point because instability usually sets in somewhere before 60c and I doubt your cooler will support the kind of voltages and frequencies you are currently running.

Report back to us with what you find out.

@Mjolnir : ya its fast but i would expect more from my CPU of course.. for example i did a phoronix benchmark with ancient clock options and i hitted 21000 calls with apache in 1 minute, while that time with 1.6 V it was like 17000.. it suck seriously.

Like "Mjolnir" said in his post and I said also before >> It is highly unlikely that your FX processor can run 4.8Ghz on stock air cooling and if you are truly using 1.6 Volts/Vcore on the processor it would most likely be that the cpu is running too hot from too much voltage.

We have seen many many users come thru this forum section and I don't remember ANY that could run 4.8Ghz with a stock cpu cooler. If yours did, it would be nearly a miracle based on what we have seen day in and day out in this forum.

Can your board overclock? Sure it can if within voltage and temperature reason and sane speed settings. But you cannot just say I will run X speed and then be able to do so. It does not happen like that. Well it never has for me.

i saw some stuff over the internet that mineral OIL cooling slighty cost less videocard side.. so i tought i could head over that
**sensors indicate 60 degree celcius.. yes of course its freaking high..and its running slower.. but i was just trying to figure out that CPU freeze and that BLACK bios stuff
@Trent : i useally dont like booting my windows... unlikely beside if im playing a game because im programming some stuff right now on linux

Last edited:
Mineral oil cooling is for a fun project; just cos you can. It's not really something the everyday overclocker would ever really use.

What is the purpose of your system? Gaming? General work? Or?

If you're gaming; a 8400 GS is getting rather old.. In fact it wasn't even great when it was released. You would be better suited spending time and money into a graphics card..

@Trent : i useally dont like booting my windows... unlikely beside if im playing a game because im programming some stuff right now on linux

Unfortunately, almost all the good overclocking tools are Windows-based.

i down volted my CPU to 1.48 volt and ive beated my CPU frequency by 37 MGHZ
also ive beaten my Apache Benchmark on phoronix by 500 Calls per second
my CPU failed at 1.47 volt after 1 hour of benchmarking
also ive noticed that if the BIOS screen is left black also could mean that CPU-NB frequency is not enough high

i was testing that out while playing it around ive decided to down it a little bit and infact the bios wasnt starting.. infact so.. if the bios dont start i could have no objection saying that it could actually mean that the motherboard cant take the frequency

Last edited:
I tried that msi board at one time and it only lasted a week under an 8120 the failure was the vrm.
I would hope you have all the airflow you can get through your case.

Back