• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Getting To Hot - AIO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mz_

Registered
Just put the PC together.

Intel I7-6700K w/ Enermax Liqmax II 240. First boot, and got to the UEFI and watch the CPU temps climb to 97c when I decide to shut it off for now. I have 2 120mm fans in the front bringing air in and the 2 120mm fans on the Eneramx setup as exhaust on the top. I also have one 120mm setup as an exhaust on the rear but not hooked up till I get a 4pin splitter.

Not a first time builder but first time for a AIO cooler. I used Noctura NT-H1 for thermal paste.

Why is it getting so hot?

I have the cooler plugged into CPU fan, and the fans on the radiator plugged into chassis fan.

I just double checked and notice the "Enermax" logo on the pump isn't lit up like it should be, could it not be getting enough power for the CPU pins?

The board is a ASrock Z170 Fatality ITX/ac

The pump should be able to get enough power through the CPU fan header if it's set up to be powered from a fan header. However, make sure you don't have the pump's power connector confused with the tach wire. Some of those pumps have separate connectors for RPM and power. Not sure how your's is designed. Some of them will use the CPU pin header only for tach but get there power from say, a SATA connector coming off the PSU.

The pump just one 4pin connector coming off it. I can try hooking it up to the PSU and see what happens.

Duh. So I went to look at everything and noticed I have the 4pin connector off 1 pin (only connected to 3 pins). I have to take the AIO out just to get to it again. So while I'm at i t, whats the best setup for the two 120mm fans for exhaust? Fans on top (pull/attached to case) or fans on bottom (push/attached to radiator). I've read it's easier to clean with the fans on top pulling air out.

Fans on top to take advantage of the physics of hot air rising. This will also pull cool air from the front/low area of the case through the case and over the motherboard and internal components.

Had more than a few of those "duh" moments in my life as well.

Heh - I've had duh moments... as least the pump wasn't bad.

While hot air does rise, if the case has adequate air flow, this really doesn't matter.

You will get the lowest CPU temp with the AIO fans as intake. This will bring warmer air into your case.

For my setup I have my AIOs (CPU and 2 Titan X P with an AIO mod) as intake. This kept my overall temps low.

Fixed! The pump actually only has a 3 pin connector, so I had it connected to the wrong 3 pins on the 4 pin plug. :(

tqupW0X.jpg

51c in bios at 1.216 vcore seems a bit high to me. I would expect 30s.

mz_ have you done any temp monitoring while stress testing in Windows?

That's first boot, don't even have Windows on the system yet. I'll be doing that tomorrow, and then start some stress testing.

I thought it seemed high, but I'm also without the rear 120mm exhaust till I get a spliter. I only have 2 120's in and the 2 120's on the radiator out. It's also 82F in the room it's at. :( Have to love Florida!

Make sure your water block is making good contact with the CPU face and that the TIM is spreading evenly.

I will check it tomorrow morning, I used the dot method for the application.

Make sure the water block is not resting on some component in the socket area that would hold it up.

Pea sized blob in the center of the CPU face.

Reading up and looking at some videos on YouTube I noticed other ASRock MB's reporting higher temps in the UEFI.

Got Windows installed and ran HWMonitor and it shows the CPU in the 30c's, running AIDA64 Extreme right now, here it is in the current state (if you can see it in the picture).

ugqvRIr.jpg

Those are safe temps but not a lot of room for overclocking.

Core 1 is 7c hotter than core 2. Nothing to do about it, though. I had a 4790k like that.

Last edited:
:( After 30 mins.

Max temps:

Core 0 = 76c
Core 1 = 81c
Core 2 = 75c
Core 3 = 77c
Package = 81c

I'll recheck the thermal paste and seating of the cooler.

The delta between the cores look normal.

Now you need to start looking at fan speeds and case airflow.

Is the AIO pump running at full speed?

Back