• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Loop Worth It for Benching?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I pulled the trigger...the total came to 423.07...hope it'll be worth it :-/

Attachments

• Capture3.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Capture4.jpg
    Capture4.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 250
My Sidewinder order came in today.

One question:

Do CPU blocks typically not come with mounting screws, springs, washers, etc.?

I contacted their sales dept. and they have some extra mounting hardware since they are selling the rev. 2 of the block which supports compressions for 1/2" ID tubing. They had to test to make sure the compressions fit, so they are gonna send me the hardware from one of those test blocks.

I think EK just left the hardware out of this box by mistake. Everything was sealed, but the mounting hardware just wasn't there.

Meh.. didn't see this thread before... you shouldn't have went water just for benching,just isn't worth it,IMHO Phase is much better suited for that and wouldn't have cost much more new,about the same used.

It is enjoyable tho,just setting it up and have it come together.

Yeah, I realize Phase would be better, but with 75-80% humidity basically all year round I fear condensation. Like I mentioned in the OP, I even get water droplets in a couple of places in my room when the A/C turns on...

So, without going sub-zero, I was hoping the performance gap between air and H2O for benching would make a loop worth it. Guess I'll find out...lol :rolleyes:

I think it's worth it, plus it's a fun addition to our hobby. Will you get much higher than with air? Not astronomically higher, no. I'm over-fanned and over-radded and am happy with what I got out of an i7 860, i7 870 and i5 655k. Will it touch phase? Of course not; but it'll do what air can, do it cooler, allow a little bit of headroom and is a lot of fun to play with. Heck, I even just look at my loop every now and then b/c it's purty.

I'm excited to be able to mess around with water cooling; seems like it could be fun. That may be worth the price by itself. Since I painted my PVC station black and added aluminum trim, I'm gonna try a red/black/industrial theme.

I haven't had a whole lot of time for submitting scores, but I'm holding on to ~80 points somehow. I have quite a bit of hardware that I haven't even ran benches on yet, and they should be worth some points. If the CPU loop helps, then it will be worth it.

i7 920
8800GT
8800GTS 320MB
8800GTX

@Matt-FYI, if condensation is an issue, which shouldn't happen with water but you may still be concerned, you may want to read some of the Extreme Cooling forums posts on preventing condensation. You can do it just as a precautionary measure. I believe it is a lot of foam and silicon but I am not sure.

I have been using 655's for a couple years and I am a noise nut but I love them. the fans are louder and I have Noctuas.

I'm not worried about condensation with water. The dew point here is around 75F (24C), so as long as the temps are above 24C then I should be good :)

I received my Jab-Tech order today, so I just have to wait on mounting hardware for my block...

Attachments

• IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 157
Mounting hardware came in today :clap:, so I'll try to have the loop up and running this weekend.

Here's a pic that Gary, from Sidewinder, sent me confirming that 1/2" x 3/4" compressions fit on the rev2 block.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 138
Oh man...that would look really good with black chrome comps.

Definitely, I think the nickel plated EK Supreme HF with black compressions would look great; better than the mix of black/copper/chrome in that pic. IMO, the black compressions would look better in general, b/c they would match the mounting plate.

UPDATE:
Started putting the loop together.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 121
Definitely, I think the nickel plated EK Supreme HF with black compressions would look great; better than the mix of black/copper/chrome in that pic. IMO, the black compressions would look better in general, b/c they would match the mounting plate.

UPDATE:
Started putting the loop together.

you put your anti kink coil on backwards (jk lols, there's no backwards, looks good!)

Yeah, not too bad for a first timer. It's staying within my black/red/"metal" look too.

you put your anti kink coil on backwards (jk lols, there's no backwards, looks good!)

The anti-kink coil was a pita, it took me ~1hr, maybe longer, to get it on there...lol.

Tomorrow I plan on getting some distilled water and leak testing. I just need to find something to jump the PSU with...

Back