• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU/NB frequency?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gui316

What is the CPU/NB frequency? It shows 4.00x to 10.00x. I have googled that, but I couldnt find a answer. Is it really important for the OC? Will it affect stability of the system?

The answer to your question will depend on what motherboard you have and what cpu is installed.

This, i have also found that it can depend of what version of BIOS is installed.

For example 0902 on my MOBO will let me adjust the CPU NB, subsequent updates cancel those setting or simply reboot and give me the "overclock failed, press F1"

So i don't use the last two BIOS updates.

Oh, I'm sorry, i forgot to mention. I own a M4A88T-M and a 1055t.

Yes it will affect the stability of you're system and I'm assuming that you are referring to the multiplier options from within you're bios which mean x4 up to x10 of you're fsb, which is a stock 200 on you're 1055T so a 10x would give you a cpu nb of 2000mhz (stock), it should go a lot higher than that if you're mobo is worth it's salt, it mainly affects the use of you're memory to CPU but can help in reaching a better clock in some situations, but mainly helps with high memory clocks

Oh, I'm sorry, i forgot to mention. I own a M4A88T-M and a 1055t.

Thats multiplying the FSB, (the bit that says 200Mhz) so 10x would be 2000Mhz.

The 1055T is a locked CPU so you can't set it beyond 2000Mhz independently of the FSB, to overclock it you need to use the FSB which in turn will also overclock your CPU.

Overclocking the CPU and there in also the CPU NB (if you keep the multiplier set to 10x) will make your CPU unstable if pushed to far, to get around that you would increase the CPU vCore volts, that in turn will make the CPU run hotter.

So its all about finding the right balance, does that make any sense?

[edit] Keny beat me to it :p

Well, I guess that the CPU/NB Frequency have nothing to do with the processor multiplier, since actually there is another option that IS called Processor Frequency Multiplier, and that goes up to 14x. I have already gone as far as 3.5 from the 2.8 default. I'm trying to get to 4.2, or at least 4.0. I have a V6GT to cool down the baby, so I don't think the temps would be a very big problem, but I had problems with stability, so I thought that the "CPU/NB Frequency" could do something for me. Any ideas? The VDDNB was set up to 1.37, and the CPU voltage was set up to 1.6, memories timming and voltage manually set and i had BSOD. I'm pretty sure that 1.6v is too much, and I can easily find people on google that set the same processor to 4.2GHz on 1.5v for the cpu and 1.3v for the nb...

Well, I guess that the CPU/NB Frequency have nothing to do with the processor multiplier, since actually there is another option that IS called Processor Frequency Multiplier, and that goes up to 14x. I have already gone as far as 3.5 from the 2.8 default. I'm trying to get to 4.2, or at least 4.0. I have a V6GT to cool down the baby, so I don't think the temps would be a very big problem, but I had problems with stability, so I thought that the "CPU/NB Frequency" could do something for me. Any ideas? The VDDNB was set up to 1.37, and the CPU voltage was set up to 1.6, memories timming and voltage manually set and i had BSOD. I'm pretty sure that 1.6v is too much, and I can easily find people on google that set the same processor to 4.2GHz on 1.5v for the cpu and 1.3v for the nb...

1.6v is far to high for the CPU, please never set it that high again, you should never go past 1.45v and even then only on a good CPU cooler, the CPU temp should never hit 70c under load, if it goes past 65c on the CPU or 55c on the cores stop what your doing.

Take it in small steps, first set everything to default and then set your FSB to 210Mhz without touching the CPU volts, once you get to the point of it not booting then adjust the CPU volts very slightly.

There is a lot of work involved in learning how to overclock properly, and a lot of explaining to do in guiding you in the correct direction.

you should read this carefully :)

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Okay, now I'm confused. I checked the voltages using AIDA64, as follow: Capturar.png
Two NBs. I guess that the CPU/NB Overvoltage is the same as VDDNB on the BIOS. But I have no option to change the other NB setting. What I have is this chipset overvoltage, which I'm not sure if it refers to the NB or to the SB, since the default voltage showed by the bios is 1.1v, and there isn't such a voltage on AIDA64.
20120519_191111.jpg

You dont realy need to mess with the chipset voltage, and yes that is the the NB on the motherboard and not the cpu nb, the cpu nb is the on that you will need to adjust when you overclock the NB frequency, the other one "chipset NB" i have found only needs raising slightly when you reach high fsb, but this will increase heat to youre motherboard nb chipset

Uhmmm...Well, is 300MHz (default 200) too much? I guess that maybe bumping that up could give me 4.2GHz stable...And btw, what is the default voltage of the chipset? 1.1 as shown by the BIOS or 1.25 as shown by AIDA64? What about the CPU/NB voltage? Is that the VDDNB?

Back