• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU ordered, what did I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stepping hasnt meant much of anything for generations.

Maybe it doesn't, but batch number maybe still does?

My L42 Haswell Refresh chip overclocks great at low (IMO) voltages, but my X52 chip overclocks like :censored:, needs a stupid amount of voltage for the overclock, and runs with higher temps even at lower clock speeds (4.7GHz for the L4 with 1.33v at 79°C, 4.4GHz for the X5 with 1.29v at 85°C).

I did it, I delidded it. This Rockit 99 tool was great. Perfect fit and easy to use. Now I have to get this 7920X cleaned up and prepped for Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal. I'm taking a lot of photos, so maybe I'll start a new thread when I get done here.

I did it, I delidded it. This Rockit 99 tool was great. Perfect fit and easy to use. Now I have to get this 7920X cleaned up and prepped for Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal. I'm taking a lot of photos, so maybe I'll start a new thread when I get done here.

Dude, you're becoming an OC forum unto yourself! LOL

Oh no, I'm only one small cog in the wheel. When I was trying to figure out the RAM issue, I sure was glad to have the whole OC forum helping me.

Took a long time to clean the adhesive off the PCB and IHS. I took my time, being thorough and careful. I put three coats of clear fingernail polish on the PCB. Since I have to let that dry and it's late, I'll continue this in the morning. In fact, I'll probably make a new thread in the morning.

I'll say this much, the underside of the IHS is hard to work the liquid metal around on, it just beads up at first. I didn't have enough at first, so I added more. Of course I got too much then, but it makes the LM easier to work with. The CPU die is easy to coat with the LM. It seems to setup quicker too. Persistence paid off and I did a pretty decent job this time. It helps that this was my second rodeo and I knew what to do this time. That first time I was clueless. I measured how much of an area I needed to cover on the IHS and taped it off like the CPU this time. Helped a lot. The lid is back on, it's in my little Rockit relid tool that was part of the Rockit 99 delid/relid kit (which worked great). I will start a new thread to post pics. It'll take this adhesive a couple of hours to cure.

EDIT: The 7920X is back in the socket and it fired right up. The delid tool made the project so much easier. Did it lower temps? If so, how much? I'll post the details in the new thread.

Last edited:
Maybe Intel people use better TIM on HEDT :D

Could be, I dropped a TON on my 7700k.

Also an update to my posts before, I've decided to sell off the server and upgrade the desktop. I tried streaming 4k videos from the 7800x however it gets demolished so I'll probably pick up a 7900x...

Really?!?

Yeah even with hw transcoding selected in plex (although it only uses ~10% of my 1080TI)... My goal is to have something that I can game on while the wife watches 4k videos. Dunno if that's going to happen or not, but here's to hope!

For streaming, I find the bottleneck is usually the ISP's connection speed. Do you have high speed fiber optics? When I went to high speed fiber optics, it was an amazing difference.

For streaming, I find the bottleneck is usually the ISP's connection speed. Do you have high speed fiber optics? When I went to high speed fiber optics, it was an amazing difference.

So local streaming is fine, but when my wife is at work and transcoding videos is when I need the CPU power...

Figure I'd update this thread even if it's not mine...
I just ordered a 7920x ES for what I consider a pretty good deal. I'll let you guys know how it goes...

Back