• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU ordered, what did I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would happily settle for 3600. The most I can get is 2800. I have gone to the instruction manual 3 times now and examined the diagrams. I currently have 2 sticks in just trying to run dual channel, but when I had 4 sticks in it was just like the diagram.

RAM cinfiguration.jpg

I'll try those things and report back. Strange, I was able to overclock the RAM every which way when I had the 7740X. The only change I made was the CPU. This has to be a BIOS issue. Abit used to send me beta BIOS files to try. Does Asus do that at all?

Enabling the Dram Training seems to have finally helped. I'm changing the DRAM frequency one step at a time and trying it. I'm up to DDR4-3200 now. Please, please make it to 3600. If that works, I'll change things back and put the other two sticks in.

I still think this is a BIOS issue. Other people are reporting similar RAM issues. It seems BIOS version 0702 helped a lot of people. The latest version 0802 caused my drive scores to go down in CrystalDickMark too. I was about ready to try going back to the last version.

EDIT: I'm at DDR4-3600, thanks to Woomack. I did have to use 36 for the cycle time although XMP should be 35. Other than that, I'm running the advertised specs now. Whew, I was getting a bit frustrated.

Last edited:
No words needed for the post, just a screen shot and a huge sigh of relief.

7920X 5000MHz TridentZ 4000.jpg

Thanks again, brother Woomack.

Well, I'm still trying to find a stable profile. Unfortunately, as sweet as that last screenshot looked, it crashed as soon as I tried to bench it. It's looking like 4.8 with DDR4-3800 and 15-15-15-36 might be what I have to run to keep the voltage down enough to keep load temps out of the 90s. I can do DDR4-4000 if I drop the timing to 16-16-16-36. When I get time, I'll test it both ways and see which scores the best.

I definitely need to delid this CPU. If I can get temps down, maybe I can go back to 5.0 for some benchmarks.

On benchies that make use of the extra cores (like Cinebench 2003 and R-15), wow it zooms through those benches like it's on super fast motion.

7920X 4800MHz TridentZ 4000.jpg

This seems to be working for now, I'll play with it at this setting and see how well it does. Let's see what quad channel can do.

Last edited:
I'm jealous. I was pondering selling off my server and 7800x and going with a 7900x instead. One build to do both the desktop and server function. Still pondering it though since the e5-2696 does pretty well at 2800 points on Cinebench R15...

Well, this baby has not been without teething problems. Thinking maybe I should delid it now. I got the RAM straightened out and it's not a dud. Not the best either, but I feel it's at least above average.

Nobody had submitted a CPU-Z score above 4.8 yet, so I tried three times to just get CPU-Z verified for 5.0, but it would lock up the system. I settled for 4.9 GHz. For the hardcore benchmarks, I doubt I'll be able to go any higher than 4.8 from what I'm seeing so far. Still, default speed is 2.9, so that's a big OC from my point of view (especially with 12 cores).

Sure it is. Beast of a CPU! Man, I pulled the trigger on one last week and canceled my order: CPU+MoBo+DDR combo is 3 months worth of school for my little one!

I've got the itch now, may head up to microcenter and pick up some goodies. It is kind of nice having a separate server for everything, but I like to play with new toys...

Sure it is. Beast of a CPU! Man, I pulled the trigger on one last week and canceled my order: CPU+MoBo+DDR combo is 3 months worth of school for my little one!

You know they already have kids making sneakers right? Put the little one to work and make money! Sell enough sneakers to get that setup! ;) I'm too late with my youngest. He's 11 and now nobody will pay me top dollar as he's "too old". I lost out, but you still have a chance! :rofl:

I've got the itch now, may head up to microcenter and pick up some goodies. It is kind of nice having a separate server for everything, but I like to play with new toys...

Dang you GT! I'm soo jelly right now! You got an MC near you? :cry:

An hour's drive ain't nuttin'. Grab a bite, get a drink and some tunes and go! The nearest one to me is close to 4 hours away! :(

I'm just trying to decide between keeping a separate server or upgrading the desktop. The plus to upgrading the desktop is I can pick up a 1080ti and still put some cash in my pocket...

I'm just trying to decide between keeping a separate server or upgrading the desktop. The plus to upgrading the desktop is I can pick up a 1080ti and still put some cash in my pocket...

Well if it was me I'd upgrade the desktop and leave the server alone for now until you can snag a deal to upgrade that later on ;)

I've dropped back to 4.6 for everyday usage, much less voltage and heat. It feels good to have this RAM running at DDR4-4000 quad channel.

Well I'll be eagerly awaiting your results. I think I'm going to just pick up a 7820x and a 1080ti and save some money since now plex does hardware transcoding. I'd love to pick up the 7900x but can't justify the the almost thousand dollars after tax, lol.

Back