• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU ordered, what did I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got so excited I forgot to set the BIOS back to default settings. I installed the new CPU and had to make three tries to get into the BIOS, was about to clear the CMOS. It's up and running now.

I looked at HWinfo64 and saw a whole list of cores. One dozen, not used to that yet. At default speed, idle temp for "CPU Package" is 23 degrees C and "Core Max" is 22 degrees C. I was thinking that sounded low, but I rarely ran that 7740X at less than 5.0 GHz (idle temp was 29 C.).

I got so excited I forgot to set the BIOS back to default settings. I installed the new CPU and had to make three tries to get into the BIOS, was about to clear the CMOS. It's up and running now.

I looked at HWinfo64 and saw a whole list of cores. One dozen, not used to that yet. At default speed, idle temp for "CPU Package" is 23 degrees C and "Core Max" is 22 degrees C. I was thinking that sounded low, but I rarely ran that 7740X at less than 5.0 GHz (idle temp was 29 C.).

A list of cores is a good problem to have!

CPU.PNG

Don't know, still testing and benching at default speed.

What is the difference between CPU package temp and core max temp? The core max appears to be the max temp of any single core. During SuperPi 32M one core hit 55 C a couple were in the 40s and the rest appeared to be at idle temp. I figure since SuperPi is really a single core benchmark, core #6 (the hot one) must be the one doing all the work. The highest CPU Package temp that same run was 49. With my 7740X, those two temps were always the same or 1 degree different at most.

Just remember, the temps sensors arent as accurate down low as they are closer to tjmax. Also, an obvious sign that isnt right is i bet its a couple C off ambient. :)

Idle temps mean little in the scheme of things

Well... lol... this is a lot different than my Kaby Lake-X. Woomack warned me about trying to clock the RAM in quad channel. I can't run locked into the XMP settings either. I finally went back to square 1 and now taking baby steps. I'll keep updating the OC status until I go to bed (in 4.5 hours).

Bat's OC status with the new i9 7920X:
CPU freq. = 5.0 GHz
RAM freq. = 1400 MHz
Timings = 16-16-16-36
Quad channel must be holding the RAM back

I will keep updating this until midnight USA central time

EDIT #1: I'm stuck with the RAM clocking, it's like it hit a brick wall, not even close to XMP.

EDIT #2: I will be delidding this 7920X, it hit 95 C. at 4.5 GHz in Geekbench 3.

EDIT #3: I'm at 5.0 GHz, but that's as far as I go tonight.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm stopping the OC session, because temps are getting wacko. At 4.5 GHz, CPU package temp hit 95 C while running Geekbench 3. I'm currently at 5.0 GHz and ran SuperPi 1M no problem. But, that answers the question as to whether I plan to delid it. Yeppers!

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wow, that's not good. A shame I was hoping you got a winning chip that didn't need a delid like me. Welp make sure you post pics before and after the surgery :)

I was using 1.35v at 5.0 GHz. I don't dare add any more voltage at this point. But, it was not completely stable at 5 Gig, although I was able to run SuperPi. When I tried another benchmark, it locked up right away.

Asus, I need a BIOS update to fix the RAM issue. It stops like it hits a wall, I can use looser timings and throw more voltage at it, but it's no go, it won't budge. I will probably have to benchmark quad channel at DDR4-2800 and compare it to whatever I can get to in dual channel (like DDR4-4000).

Silly me, I thought after all the upgrades I did to my watercooling loop that I was ready for this i9, sheesh, a dozen cores generate a whole bunch of heat. I just hope delidding solves most of that issue, but I have a feeling I'm still going to have cooling problem.

Another benchmark....................that was multi-threaded?

I love you BB, but getting relevant information out of your posts is a stuggle at times. :p

3x120 worth of rad will be tough... thank goodness cool temps are outside to help!

It was the shorter HWBOT x265 bench. I have no idea if it's single or multi. I ran that same 1080p bench just now at 4.2 gig with 1.25v and it finished, no problem (max load temp was 63 C).

Patience brother doggy, I'm getting old. What else do you want to know?

EDIT: I'm overclocking with all the cores in sync, so it makes it harder on the higher clocks.

Last edited:
You can have task manager up when running the benchmark to check how many threads it uses ;).

Just the relevant information BB... that's what we want to know. WHen you are talking temps... things like clocks, voltages, the actual bench run, should be givens. :)

Just a few of my observations from usinf the 7900X. Once the core speed is raised much over turbo I needed more VCCIN . I noticed poor Bench results otherwise. For the ram I could get up to 3800 without too much effort but that required the same VCCIN tweaking even at stock. If I added anything to SA or IO then more VCCIN was needed to keep it running. IIRC at 4.5 with 3600 memory I was already up to 2.0V VCCIN can't recall my SA and IO settings but I know they needed a bit of a push to keep things ticking.

I think you are setting too high voltage and it's causing the issues. 1.15V on my CPU is enough to run at 4.5-4.6GHz. 1.20V is enough for 4.7GHz+. On water 1.25V+ will cause ~100°C without delidding. No matter how good WC you have just because of how CPU is heating up on small space. I was checking my loop with 3 and 6 fans ( on 2x 360 rads ) and difference wasn't big so the issue is to take all the heat from CPU, not to spread it on the rads.

I just installed 128GB ( 8x16GB ) HyperX Predator kit on TUF2 and it booted just fine at XMP settings so 3000 C15. Up to 3600 shouldn't be any issues with above average Samsungs. I'm able to run 4x16GB kit at 3600 14-14-14 fully stable on my board.

Geekbench 3 before and after temps (in degrees C.)

default speed idle temp 23
default speed load temp 53
4.5 GHz OC 1.3v idle temp 26
4.5 GHz OC 1.3v load temp 95

This more what you looking for?

I now have a gold hardware cup for SuperPi 32M.

EDIT: Woomack might be right about me using too much vcore, I was having trouble with the RAM clocking, I remember bumping up vcore a lot to make sure that wasn't causing the issue. I'm at 4.2 GHz right now, let me test a couple things.

Johan, I wrote the settings you mentioned down and will try them in a bit. What is VCCIN? I found CPU Input Voltage.

Last edited:
Johan, I wrote the settings you mentioned down and will try them in a bit. What is VCCIN? I found CPU Input Voltage.
That's the one

Woomack knows his guano. I tried Geekbench using 1.2v at 4.5 GHZ. Idle temp before was 27 C. and max load temp during bench was 80 C. This might actually still be too much voltage. Going to leave it at 1.2v and walk it up and see how high it'll go at that vcore.

Glad we got some smart fellows on this forum. I got all confused when I had all the memory issues, I think it threw me off.

Back