• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU ordered, what did I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I should be able to put together an extensive comparison of the 7740X vs. the 7920X. I have dozens of benching results for the 7740X. One of the first benches I want to run with the new 7920X is Geekbench 3. Those extra cores should really help in the multi test. I will need to make sure I can keep 12 cores adequately cooled too. I might be getting borderline with my 750W PSU. But, I plan to get just one vid card next year, probably the Volta if it ever gets released (other than server cards I mean).

Good 750W is more than enough. I had max of 610W on OC 7900X+1080Ti and under full load on both. While benching it's never full load so I guess it will go up to ~500W.

When I use those PSU calculators that are online, I'm getting up to 700w right now (I think they assume you are running everything at once). I thought about unplugging my backup HDD and Blu-Ray player while I have Crossfire going. This old PC Power and Cooling is a beast. It's one of my best component investments. It'll probably handle it, but I'll keep an eye on voltage anyway.

That's what I thought, but the calculator has the Blu-ray listed at about 30w??? The SATA HDD adds 9w, but it's mainly for data backup and doesn't need to be plugged in all the time anyway. If I see the 12v rail drooping, I know I'm at capacity... lol. The specs on this PSU say it's rated 750w continuous. Lots of cheapie PSU are rated using peak power. Peak for mine is 825w.

When I use those PSU calculators that are online, I'm getting up to 700w right now (I think they assume you are running everything at once). I thought about unplugging my backup HDD and Blu-Ray player while I have Crossfire going. This old PC Power and Cooling is a beast. It's one of my best component investments. It'll probably handle it, but I'll keep an eye on voltage anyway.

Online calculators are not showing real wattage so I guess you will find out after some tests if your PSU is good enough. This CPU will go up to 350W after OC if you can keep it cool enough.
I have 1200W PCP&C which I got from Bobnova ( reviewed on OCF ). It has couple of years but still works perfectly fine. It was one of the better investments I made ;)
7900X is probably one of the worst ideas but I still like this platform and will keep it for longer. Maybe if I get better motherboard then I will swich the one I have but so far no one wants to send anything for review and anything better is too expensive to be worth to buy it. At least on water cooling TUF2 is as good as any top X299 board. I was even surprised that memory is overclocking the same as some guys can make on APEX.

I'm loving this TUF X299 Mark 2 so far, it's been great and totally rock steady. Power circuitry is quite good. Guess I'll find out how it handles going from a 7740X (4 cores) to a 7920X (12 cores).

The ROG boards are the top dogs? You got me curious, so I tried to find what I have.

Vague Asus marketing hype says:

Certified military-grade TUF chokes offer unbeatable durability in order to maximize the lifespan of your system.

TUF Capacitors +110% temperature, tolerance and 1.5X-longer lifespan.

Certified military-grade MOSFETs with lower RDS(on)

Ok, I found this: It features same the 8-phase digital CPU power design and 10K Japanese capacitors as the two Prime series models. Isn't the ROG boards 12-phase?

Last edited:
The ROG boards are the top dogs? You got me curious, so I tried to find what I have.

Vague Asus marketing hype says:

Certified military-grade TUF chokes offer unbeatable durability in order to maximize the lifespan of your system.

TUF Capacitors +110% temperature, tolerance and 1.5X-longer lifespan.

Certified military-grade MOSFETs with lower RDS(on)

Ok, I found this: It features same the 8-phase digital CPU power design and 10K Japanese capacitors as the two Prime series models. Isn't the ROG boards 12-phase?

In real all these higher series x299 boards are almost the same. Lowest Strix has exactly the same PCB as TUF, the same Prime has the same PCB and power design. Difference is in some additional components which for most users are just waste of money. On air/water it doesn't matter if there are 8 or more phases. It will still run up to 400W on CPU and you simply can't pass that on air/water. Above that there is high chance that CPU will throttle. I could set 4.8GHz on 7900X and it was showing ~300W max under load in Prime95. Without delidding it's impossible to fully stabilize it on air/water because it goes above 100°C.
Highest ROG series can be good for low temps like dry ice or LN2 but for air/water it really doesn't matter as I see. CPU will overheat before you will be able to use additional features from the highest ROG boards.

All that military grade stuff is pure marketing the same as most other magical technologies which all are using anyway just under different names. It doesn't change fact that TUF has 5 year warranty so however it's called, it's good.

*drum roll*

brand new unboxed.jpg

According to the s-spec, it's a M0 stepping. Not sure what that means nowadays, but in the P4 days a M0 stepping usually overclocked well.

Honestly, I don't think they meant much in the early days either. ;)

I decided the Nochua case fans I have are super quiet, but they don't move much air. I really like the Gentle Typhoon fans on my radiators, So I picked up two 1800 rpm Gentle Typhoons for the side panel. I put one in the side panel and left one Noctua in for comparison. According to the specs, these two fans put out the same (58 CFM). No way, the Gentle Typhoon moves twice as much air. I swapped in the other Gentle Typhoon fan and load temps dropped on average about 2 degrees. Think I finally got my fans situation worked out.

Ok, I'm ready now. Time to shut down and swap CPUs.

Back