• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Overheat please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murdahjah

Hello all. So I've had my computer working great for the past few months but then this weekend it took a dump. Was mid game in bf1 when my frames drop to 1 couldn't do anything so I immediately shut down my pc and upon reboot realized that my cpu was significantly overheating. So I take a look at my custom loop and see that the water isn't flowing as it should be. So I take out the pump and drain the pipes and test it with just tap water not connected to anything and it functioned just fine for the 1m or so I let it run with my hose flowing water into it. So I figure maybe it just needed to be cleaned out or soemthing. Anyways I put it back into my pc and its working fine putting the fluid back in for the most part. I get about 90% of the fluid back into my rig and then the same thing the pump stops pumping. Tried both connecting it to my pc for power and an external power supply so I know its not my power supply/mobo issue causing the loss of power. Now my confusion starts. I ordered new fluid thinking maybe it just needs to be changed out since its about a yr or two old (not 100% sure). Also thinking maybe the pump is just going bad and needs to be replaced but its just odd that it worked fine outside my rig with normal tap water. That or maybe theres a clog in one of my pipes thats causing the pump to shut down? This is my first custom loop pc so I'm very nooby with this type of thing. If you have any tips or suggestions I'd be happy to try anything. I'd like to avoid spending $130 for a new pump if I don't have to but will if ya'll think thats the cause of my issues.

Thanks in advance!

The fluid shouldn't have anything to do with it. I do not believe a clog stops the pump, but, never had one, so I am not sure. That said, it sounds like a bad pump to me, honestly...

Alright, ya I was thinking that as well and will probably just replace it to see if that fixes it my only hesitation is because it worked fine outside of my computer so that part I just don't get but who knows maybe its just going bad and if I take it out agian it wont work.

Also, why are you spending $130 for a pump????

You can get great pumps for under $100.

MCP655
D5

(others know more than me about pumps, but, over $100 is a lot IMO)

I duno I was just going to get the same one it alrdy has on it lol it has ekd5 pump I bought it built from a friend so I duno how I'd put in a different type of pump.

Same way you did that one? The only difference may be in mounting. Pumps typically have an inlet and exhaust. What do you think you will get hung up on?

Also, if the pump is bad, can it be returned to EK? I think they have a year warranty...

I'd assume I would also need a new reservoir if I bought a different pump? http://prntscr.com/jbyxj7 I just found I think I can get the motor alone for only $95 instead of $130 I'd just have to figure out how to take the pump apart and put the motor in lol

How did you configure your test run outside of the loop? Was it full assembled as if you had it inside the case?

Did you ever clean your gear 1+ year ago before assembling it together for the first time?

What fluid and tubing is being used during these issues?

A couple of things come to mind that could be the issue.

1. The blocks channels could be clogged up by debris.

2. Your pump settings are set too low hence the very slow flow rate.

Give us more specifics of your loop so we know what you're working with here and be more specific on what you did when you tested out the pump outside of the rig.

Hello all. So I've had my computer working great for the past few months but then this weekend it took a dump. Was mid game in bf1 when my frames drop to 1 couldn't do anything so I immediately shut down my pc and upon reboot realized that my cpu was significantly overheating. So I take a look at my custom loop and see that the water isn't flowing as it should be. So I take out the pump and drain the pipes and test it with just tap water not connected to anything and it functioned just fine for the 1m or so I let it run with my hose flowing water into it. So I figure maybe it just needed to be cleaned out or soemthing. Anyways I put it back into my pc and its working fine putting the fluid back in for the most part. I get about 90% of the fluid back into my rig and then the same thing the pump stops pumping. Tried both connecting it to my pc for power and an external power supply so I know its not my power supply/mobo issue causing the loss of power. Now my confusion starts. I ordered new fluid thinking maybe it just needs to be changed out since its about a yr or two old (not 100% sure). Also thinking maybe the pump is just going bad and needs to be replaced but its just odd that it worked fine outside my rig with normal tap water. That or maybe theres a clog in one of my pipes thats causing the pump to shut down? This is my first custom loop pc so I'm very nooby with this type of thing. If you have any tips or suggestions I'd be happy to try anything. I'd like to avoid spending $130 for a new pump if I don't have to but will if ya'll think thats the cause of my issues.

Thanks in advance!

Step 1 should have been to open the water block and clean it out that's going to be the place that serious increase in temperature from flow blockage directly affects the CPU!

At least you did confirm the water pump works on it's own but if the water block is clogged up the pump cannot push through it, the water block has to be cleaned.

At least you did confirm the water pump works on it's own but if the water block is clogged up the pump cannot push through it, the water block has to be cleaned.
+1 which means if it is clogged your whole loop will have to be disassembled and cleaned piece by piece, especially your rad. :(

So update, I took apart the tubes and cleaned them out (the water block was full of oxidation and im assuming thats why it was all clogged up) got it all working put a new pump in and everything was working great. flushed the system fully got new coolant in everything was good for a week or so and now I was gaminga nd just noticed my flow wheel isn't moving again. When I first got my pc fixed it was spinning fast all the time and now its completely still.. I checked temps and they're still only 30-40c which confuses me but ya I restarted my system a few times and I never see the flow start even on bootup. Any help appreciated.

So update, I took apart the tubes and cleaned them out (the water block was full of oxidation and im assuming thats why it was all clogged up) got it all working put a new pump in and everything was working great. flushed the system fully got new coolant in everything was good for a week or so and now I was gaminga nd just noticed my flow wheel isn't moving again. When I first got my pc fixed it was spinning fast all the time and now its completely still.. I checked temps and they're still only 30-40c which confuses me but ya I restarted my system a few times and I never see the flow start even on bootup. Any help appreciated.

Your flow indicator could be froze up from the same stuff that was in your water block, or just worn out, because your temperatures indicate flow is happening?

Probably test the flow indicator separately to be sure it actually spins.

I don't use flow indicators because they add flow restriction and they're notorious for eventually wearing out and stopping.

IMO, they are unnecessary and a water cooling Ohh Ahh gimic waste of money.

So just sharing my experience here.

I think a lot of cleaning, hassle and headaches can be avoided by just using plain distilled water from walmart or where ever with a silver coil if needed.

It might work for some and as time has come and gone, things change. Whatever that maybe, using Distilled and Silver on EK's nickle and from other manufacturer's, oxidization starts building up and eventually can damage the block if not maintained after a while. Please do some research before telling everyone to just use distilled and silver and that goes for every member here on these forums. I know distilled and silver works for many BUT NOT for everyone. It's safer we advise on using clear premixed fluids then steer someone down a troubling path and then have their warranty denied since they only used distilled and silver or w/e biocide.

I say is this, if you're using the same blocks and rads, use the same manufacturer's clear fluids and so in case there is an issue that involves an RMA, there shouldn't be an issue getting it done. Some in the past I've read complained at EK for not replacing their damaged nickel blocks because they were using silver and distilled. It's really silver that was the issue iirc and shouldn't be used at all. The only time distilled should be used is when you're cleaning the loop before refilling it with clear premixed fluid. Koolance for example, strongly advises on using their fluids with their gear otherwise your warranty can be voided.

Saving $15+ annually on fluids is laughable to say the least and you shouldn't be custom liquid cooling in the first place if the premix fluid of all things is an issue to afford. This isn't a affordable hobby by any means and if you're on a very tight budget, go to the nearest junk yard and have at it otherwise with the use of most of these mainstream custom liquid cooling components, things should be done right the first time.

It might work for some and as time has come and gone, things change. Whatever that maybe, using Distilled and Silver on EK's nickle and from other manufacturer's, oxidization starts building up and eventually can damage the block if not maintained after a while. Please do some research before telling everyone to just use distilled and silver and that goes for every member here on these forums. I know distilled and silver works for many BUT NOT for everyone. It's safer we advise on using clear premixed fluids then steer someone down a troubling path and then have their warranty denied since they only used distilled and silver or w/e biocide.

I say is this, if you're using the same blocks and rads, use the same manufacturer's clear fluids and so in case there is an issue that involves an RMA, there shouldn't be an issue getting it done. Some in the past I've read complained at EK for not replacing their damaged nickel blocks because they were using silver and distilled. It's really silver that was the issue iirc and shouldn't be used at all. The only time distilled should be used is when you're cleaning the loop before refilling it with clear premixed fluid. Koolance for example, strongly advises on using their fluids with their gear otherwise your warranty can be voided.

Saving $15+ annually on fluids is laughable to say the least and you shouldn't be custom liquid cooling in the first place if the premix fluid of all things is an issue to afford. This isn't a affordable hobby by any means and if you're on a very tight budget, go to the nearest junk yard and have at it otherwise with the use of most of these mainstream custom liquid cooling components, things should be done right the first time.

Im not telling anyone to do anything just sharing my own experience with not having issues using just distilled water.

BUT my fault for not reading he had a nickle block and stating that all my stuff is copper, it was 4am.

Ill get delete it all the same because even though it works for me and others I do not want to spread miss information to anyone that could ruin their build and you are on top of his issue.

Im not telling anyone to do anything just sharing my own experience with not having issues using just distilled water.

BUT my fault for not reading he had a nickle block and stating that all my stuff is copper, it was 4am.

Ill get delete it all the same because even though it works for me and others I do not want to spread miss information to anyone that could ruin their build and you are on top of his issue.

My apologies as my response wasn't aimed at you. It was just my frustration in general that got the best of me. Again my apologies.

In sharing my own past experience I have had problems with just distilled water growing the green algae crap, pure stem distilled water is getting harder and harder to find these days that haven't had additives added to it.

And also a silver coil mucking things up as well especially back when Watercool recommended using Citric Acid in their radiator loop, a Silver Coil and citric acid didn't like each other and that's all I am going to say on that.

I use steam distilled water and BioCide now until I find it's mucking up as well, but so far so good for the past 3 years.

So bit of an update I ripped it apart again and put it back together and it was temporarily working sorta (would see my flow wheel go back and forth between spinning and stopping. Now that I used my computer for a few hours its just stopped completely again. The pump is brand new and I know theres no obstructions in the pipes as I just cleaned them and its been working on and off. I have no idea what it could possibly be now this is driving me nuts. Anyone able to advise me on possible next step?

Maybe you have a bad flow wheel or you still have some resistance somewhere out there not accessible to you for cleaning, say like inside a radiator.

Do you still see flow inside the reservoir, even if that flow wheel isn't spinning?

Give us a quick run down on what you've done so far from the start of your post since it's been a while.

Possible I flushed it a bunch with waterblock prior to putting in new liquid but I guess it’s possibke there’s still some blockage somewhere. And it’s definitely not the flow wheel cause sometimes it’ll start workin really well and then after being on for a couple hours it’ll just stop. Or it was doing that for a few days. Yesterday was first time I had it running more than 2-3 hrs and towards the end of the night about 6 hours in it want working at all. Before that when gaming t would spin not spin every couple min it would stop for a few mins then start again but now it’s completely stopped. I set everything to 100% in the bios and I feel 0 vibrations from the motor and see 0 ripple or shake in the liquid in the reservoir.

Back